The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What kind of contract do I need?! HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-kind-contract-do-i-need-119890/)

blush 04-13-2012 02:05 PM

What kind of contract do I need?! HELP!

So Robbie is going away to a show with a girl who rides (not the girl who is half leasing him, one of my trainer's students) him while I'm in school at the end of the month. :) He will be gone for a week and although I'm very excited for both her and Robbie, I'm scared to let my baby go on an adventure without me haha.

Now while he's gone, I want the girl taking him to sign some kind of contract with me stating that:
- He is 100% her responsibility during the time he is gone to the show
- She takes full care of him
- She pays for any and all expenses he requires while in her possession aka feed, blankets, shoes, dewormer, etc
- If anything were to happen to him and he required medical attention, she would be 100% responsible and pay for everything
- She would fully reimburse both me and the half leaser for board, insurance, etc, for the time he is in her possession aka 1 week

...do those conditions sound fair??

I really want her to sign this because if Robbie goes with her and something were to happen, me and the other girl who half leases would be responsible for paying 100% for it. Which I don't find fair at all since we're not even there. My trainer is 100% behind me getting her to sign some form of legal document...but the question now is what kind of contract??

I've looked over half lease and full lease contracts, but they don't really apply to this situation. Or do they?? There would have to be a lot of added conditions and subtracted conditions to make a lease contract work. So does anyone know of a "short term horse contract" or something like that?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

alexischristina 04-13-2012 10:00 PM

It all depends on why she's riding him- is she riding him because she wants to go to the show / get more show miles, or is she riding him because you would like him to go to the show?

blush 04-13-2012 10:01 PM

She is riding him because she wants to go to the show. :)
I could care less if he went and showed or not haha - he will be well shown this summer be me and his half leasser.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 04-13-2012 10:14 PM

Then all of your conditions sound fair to me! She's essentially leasing him from you for the duration of the show, some people would pay the owner for use of the horse, etc. but I think being responsible for all care is definitely a better idea. Maybe you could contact your equine insurance provider and see if they have a short term lease contract? If anything they could point you in the right direction.