The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Safe to trim a very pregnant mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/safe-trim-very-pregnant-mare-119902/)

Piaffe 04-13-2012 02:56 PM

Safe to trim a very pregnant mare?

I was told to never trim a mare when she could foal within thirty days. Because of foundering danger if I remember correctly. My mare is on 302 and due for a trim. They aren't horrible or anything. Would it be safe to go ahead and do it or should I wait?:? My farrier would come to her so there wouldn't be any moving her issues. Thoughts?

Ripper 04-13-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piaffe (Post 1453413)
I was told to never trim a mare when she could foal within thirty days. Because of foundering danger if I remember correctly. My mare is on 302 and due for a trim. They aren't horrible or anything. Would it be safe to go ahead and do it or should I wait?:? My farrier would come to her so there wouldn't be any moving her issues. Thoughts?

Trim her.....

It will be fine as long as she is easy to trim and won't fight the farrier.

Piaffe 04-13-2012 03:14 PM

The person that told me was told by their vet to trim a mare within 30 days of foaling can cause a founder in them. Has anyone had experience with this or is it kind of an old wives tale type of thing?

Ripper 04-13-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piaffe (Post 1453450)
The person that told me was told by their vet to trim a mare within 30 days of foaling can cause a founder in them. Has anyone had experience with this or is it kind of an old wives tale type of thing?

Stop and think...

Why would they founder????

I tube de-worned my brood mares a week before they foaled.

I would not trim a mare that has never been trimmed or, is a fight to trim.

MyLittlePonies 04-13-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piaffe (Post 1453450)

I've never had that kind of problem with trimming them at 30 days before foaling. It would be better off to trim her now before she has the baby that way she has time to ajust to her new baby and not have untrimmed feet.

oceanne 04-13-2012 03:25 PM

I would trim her as long as she is quiet.

Piaffe 04-13-2012 03:25 PM

Just curious as to why a vet would say this? I was told by a well known big time breeder as well...so I want to be 100% sure. I know horses can founder for many reasons....Im just not sure what/if anything the vet was basing this on.

MyLittlePonies 04-13-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piaffe (Post 1453467)
Just curious as to why a vet would say this? I was told by a well known big time breeder as well...so I want to be 100% sure. I know horses can founder for many reasons....Im just not sure what/if anything the vet was basing this on.

Everyone has an opinion and will state it. Others have experience in this stuff. It could be just the added stress of trimming to the mare before she has it that the vet said it. But with her being so large and having her feet trimmed....that could be why...but I can't very well see it being the truth. What has your vet said? Have you asked?

paintsrule2 04-13-2012 04:00 PM

I have had my mares trimmed within a week of foaling if they were due. All of my mares are quiet and good to handle. I would rather trim them right before foaling, instead of shortly after. Most mares will be very protective of their foals for the first couple of weeks after birth, and it is not worth stressing the mare or the foal, or even trying to keep the mare still if she is worried about where baby is. I have never had a problem and have never heard of having any problem with founder by trimming at this stage.

midnighttwilight 04-13-2012 04:04 PM

Never heard of the founder thing but I just had Inanna done. She was protective of her back feet so they were not done even though they need it. My farrier said he would just get them sometime after the baby.