The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   braiding the mane to grow longer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/braiding-mane-grow-longer-119922/)

barrelbeginner 04-13-2012 04:44 PM

braiding the mane to grow longer?

if i braid my horses mane to make it grow longer, can i do that if he is in a pasture with other horses or should i not?

mselizabeth 04-14-2012 12:07 AM

I believe that just keeps the hair from breakage. It doesn't actually *make* it grow..

It should be fine with other horses if its braided. As long as they don't think its a toy :D

xJumperx 04-14-2012 10:25 AM

lol about the horses thinking it's a toy xD

Yes, it's for prevention of breakage, and cleanliness. Keeps it from getting tangled and pulled out. Also, if you have a horse with a very long tail, they always keep it braided and bagged because the horses will step on it if they back up... it's kinda funny, but annoying and painful, because they end up pulling thier tail out. It is funny to see them wonder why their butt is getting pulled on, I must say xD

xJumperx 04-14-2012 10:26 AM

I also braid Cowboy's mane to tame it to stay on the right side for H/J. I also braid his tail ... but that's just because I want it to be thicker and eye catchy, since he's black and all ^.^

GoWithTheFlow 04-15-2012 02:25 PM

I had more breakage while braiding ,than I did when it was down . BUT I was also using a crappy detangler and conditioner (sp?) . It was Mane and Tail or Mane N Tail (something like that) .It left the mane and tail feeling gross and dull .

I'm going to try Mane-ly Long ,as my horses have thick long crazy hair . Reveiws say that it leaves the hair soft and silky , no funny residue ,and TANGLE FREE! (My qh mare gets tangles very easily .)

ktrolson 04-24-2012 01:42 AM

I tried braiding the mane. a few days later a LOT of the mane had pulled out. still trying to grow it back. i won't do it again.

FunnyMonkey 04-24-2012 02:48 AM

i find when my horses mane is braided he tends to rub alot more. So i just leave it out and use a nylon hood under the neck rug of a normal rug.