The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Just Snagged a Job at a Big Name Arab Ranch (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/just-snagged-job-big-name-arab-119927/)

Stoddard 04-13-2012 06:00 PM

Just Snagged a Job at a Big Name Arab Ranch

And I just started today. Holy crap, it's a lot of working being a "groom" there. But I do like it, and I think I'm totally going to stick to it just so I can gain some experience from a different angle, since these Arabians are pretty high-strung and ready to romp.

Anyone recognize the name Vallejo III? They've got trophies, ribbons, and pictures on literally every flippin' wall in their barn. LOL.

Vallejo III <-- their website.

Cacowgirl 04-13-2012 07:18 PM

Wow! That is a very cool place. I'll bet you learn a lot there.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-13-2012 08:22 PM

You will work your Azz off there, but when you're done you'll definitely know how to groom a horse. Just watch yourself and stay safe.

Saddlebag 04-13-2012 09:19 PM

Groom - chief poop shoveller.

Stoddard 04-14-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1453838)
You will work your Azz off there, but when you're done you'll definitely know how to groom a horse. Just watch yourself and stay safe.

Yup. Groom quickquickquick, and make myself look like I'm trying my absolute ****edest. Bob had to help me twice with putting a saddle on a horse. They're so **** heavy, that even with trying the angle thing he uses, I feel like I'm gonna flop onto my face/drop the saddle/spook the horse/die from the pain in my arms.

Northern 04-14-2012 06:21 PM

Stoddard, you need the easy way to get the saddle up there: the "swing it up" way.

Stand at horse's shoulder with your back to him, holding the saddle sideways with underside against your body. Proceed to swing it & your body together, to see if your horse is ok with that, & if he is, heave-ho up onto his back, arcing yourself & it around in a U-turn, so that cantle is in front upon landing.

Stoddard 04-14-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 1455024)
Stoddard, you need the easy way to get the saddle up there: the "swing it up" way.

Stand at horse's shoulder with your back to him, holding the saddle sideways with underside against your body. Proceed to swing it & your body together, to see if your horse is ok with that, & if he is, heave-ho up onto his back, arcing yourself & it around in a U-turn, so that cantle is in front upon landing.

Sounds similar to how it's done there. He shows me with his back sorta to the horse's shoulder, right leg up against the saddle. Swing and use your leg to propel it up. It rained today, so I didn't have to do it - just the main daily chores. So tomorrow I think I'm visiting my horse and using on of RHR's big ropin' saddles to practice swinging up with.

UGH. Getting to say I work for Bob Hart, Jr. is a freaking amazing feeling. 8D

COWCHICK77 04-14-2012 06:50 PM

Congrats! It will make it easier to get a job in the future when you have a well established barn/trainer on your resume.

Swinging a saddle up properly will come with practice.
Best of luck :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Stoddard 04-14-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1455042)
Congrats! It will make it easier to get a job in the future when you have a well established barn/trainer on your resume.

Swinging a saddle up properly will come with practice.
Best of luck :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you. :D I'm sure it will, especially putting in long hours almost every day of the week. I know he'll be strict and some days I'll probably wanna break down and leave, but I'm planning to stay in this job as long as I can. I'm seriously hoping that - if the VoTech here has vet assistant training available - they have night classes so I can keep working there through the winter. I'm already having to quit actually going to my GED classes (yay for the teacher signing me up online), so I could make sure I have this job. I'm also going to have to really stress to my mental health center friends to make my appointments as far into the afternoon as possible.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 04-14-2012 08:14 PM

LOL, I know exactly what you mean about the saddles. I only have to do my own horses and there are days when I can't seem to get that saddle high enough to go on the tall ones. It'll pass though, you're young and tossing 50 lbs worth of saddle up over your head 20 or 30 times/day will build those muscles fast!