The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   rare draft breed (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/rare-draft-breed-119950/)

TimberRidgeRanch 04-13-2012 08:55 PM

rare draft breed

Was talking to a friend of mine in TX about a draft breed they are trying to bring back. I really love the look of this draft breed. They are called the Sugarbrush Draft. This is the only known stallion left. I so want to have a colt from his lines.
http://livinlargefarms.com/images/O-...ne-small-1.jpg

TimberRidgeRanch 04-13-2012 08:59 PM

OOOPS SUGARBUSH sorry lol

GreySorrel 04-13-2012 09:38 PM

I really love how they look, very eye catching, don't get me wrong, but they aren't a "draft breed" nor are they recognized as a draft breed, as say a Belgian or a Percheron, they are a cross of two breeds. So, I wouldn't consider them a draft, but a cross with a draft..and call them as such.

oceanne 04-13-2012 09:41 PM

Holy smokes,I havent seen one of these since the 60s! They sure are a beautiful crossbreed though.Hope you do get one.From what I have seen of your pasture clan,one..or more would make a lovely addition.

CLaPorte432 04-13-2012 09:47 PM

893 Attachment(s)
SDHR Home

Very interesting breed.

Duren 04-14-2012 07:17 PM

My farrier actually thought my App gelding was a Sugarbush. Granted, I did have 2 draft mares and my gelding is massive...

Anyways, I dont understand how "theres only one stallion left" when its a crossbreed. Cant you just make more??

Texasdotteddrafts 04-15-2012 10:07 AM

Response to Sugarbush Drafts

This thread on this forum was brought to my attention by one someone who deeply cares for our Sugarbush Drafts. First I'd like to address the photo in use on this thread. That photo, by AA Photography, is property of my husband and myself. So I'd like to let the user know it was used without consent. Secondly, on the subject that the Sugarbush Drafts are not a recognized breed, and that they are a "cross" of an Appaloosa and a Draft, is incorrect. The crossing of an Appaloosa to a Draft horse produces foals that are Stonewall Sport Horses, which are only 50% draft. A Sugarbush Draft, is more than 51% draft. I would ask that anyone who has any questions about the breed, please direct them to our Registrar at info@sugarbushdrafthorse.com, or you can visit our website to learn more on the history of the breed and how it came to be. As for the question of, why, if Sugarbush Harley's Classic O is our "last" stallion, why don't we just "go out there and make another one?" I can assure you, all of us with the SDHR are taking slow and careful steps to keep this breed alive. Saving a rare breed (and yes, it is a recognized breed) is not a task you perform over night. Having only one unrelated breeding pair sets you back a bit. If you'd like more information on our Foundation breeding program, you can go to that section on our website and read up on it. Those of us involved with this breed are very serious and passionate about our horses. Please understand, just because you've never heard of it, or don't understand it, doesn't make it non-existant. This breed has over 50 years of history and breeding standing behind it. Just because they were not bred in mass numbers, does not make it any less of a "real" breed. We understand that there are people out there who enjoy stomping on others hopes and dreams, and that's ok, that's something they have to deal with on their own. We at the SDHR take deep pride and passion in our horses, and our efforts to save this unique breed and we won't let a handful of stone throwers shatter our dreams. If anyone would like to contact me personally on this matter and further express your opinions, please feel free to do so. My name is Stephanie, I sit on the Board Of Directors with the SDHR (Sugarbush Draft Horse Registry), I am also head of Public Relations and Promotions. pr@sugarbushdrafthorse.com .

MangoRoX87 04-15-2012 11:15 AM

DUDE. I want.
*grabby hands*

LLF 04-15-2012 11:59 AM

The stallion in the picture above is my stallion. Another cannot be made by simply crossing an App with a draft. We did have a second stallion prospect for the breed last year when our colt was born, sadly we lost him to colic. With luck we may be blessed with another, we just have to wait and see when our long awaited goal arrives. O (the stallion above) is available for AI!!

gigem88 04-15-2012 02:29 PM

Good luck with bringing the breed back, they are spectacular! But, the website did say to share pictures of the breed, so I wouldn't get my panties in knot over the photo by the OP :)