The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Tips need help (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/tips-need-help-119962/)

SkylerMarie 04-13-2012 10:01 PM

Tips need help

Hey i am having a difficult time two hand raining. Also my horse always leans in the inside. Any tips that can help me? I*m fourteen and have only been rideing for a year. :-P

caseymyhorserocks 04-13-2012 11:51 PM

A hand on each rein is called direct reining. Since you have only have been riding for a year, you should be instructed by a trainer, and you will want to ask them to help you. And- what do you mean you are having trouble with it, are your hands slipping, your horse not responding?

hc23881 04-14-2012 08:51 AM

The most common reason i can think of, of why your horse leans to the inside is maybe your reins. Make sure you are holding your reins evenly so that there is not more pressure on your inside rein and therefore your horse might bend towards the inside. What specifically are you having trouble with direct reining? There are many videos on youtube that are very helpful in showing you how to handle and guide your horse! It is cool that you have an interest in horses! As a beginner there are tons of things that you can learn. Just remember to start with the basics then you can move up to more difficult things! Good luck and have fun with it :)

tinyliny 04-15-2012 12:34 AM

I always ride two handed (direct reining). But I ride english a lot.

YOur horse is leaning into the circle or turn because he is either very stiff on the outside of his body (I mean the side that is onthe outside of your circle) or he is not able to keep his balance very well, which is made worse when trying to circle.

You could be making it worse by leaning into the circle. or twisting your body toward the outside.

If it were me on the horse and it leaned to the inside I would take up the inside rein, lift it up a bit and put on enough contact until the horse flexed to the inside. At the same time I would be putting my inside leg on him asking him to pick up his inside shoudler and put more weight onto his outside shoulder. YOu can help him by putting a bit more weight into your outside stirrup, sit right up over his body (don't lean in like you're riding a motorcycle). When your horse bends toward the inside and you actually feel him "drift" toward outward, making the circle larger, you can ease off the inside rein for a bit and let him go forward.

Do this again if he starts falling in agian, and do it before he gets really severly fallen in.

SkylerMarie 04-16-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks every one for helping me. I asked my trainer to help me with direct raining and i am doing much better. Thanks you all for posting. I hope to hear from you soon. :)