The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Starting to come around! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/starting-come-around-119974/)

Lindze 04-14-2012 12:12 AM

Starting to come around!

Finally my gelding is starting to come around.

Today was the first day of being able to lead him and make him move without him refusing to be lead, turn, back up in his corral. r I have not felt comfortable taking him out, so just work with him in the corral, until I am confident that I can control him on the road to the arena or the barn.

Last week it got to the point that he would back up and try kick me if he didn't want to do something I asked of him. I had a brush in my hand and threw it, it hit him square in the hind end and sent him in a fit of bucking, but since then, he seems to have respect for me finally!

We are working on ground manners, but my "mentor" (dont have a trainer, but thats a different post lol) has fell through in some ways, so I'm working off hours and hours and hours of research (stay at home mom with many hours of spare time right now). People have already complimented me that he isn't the brat he was already, in the two months ive owned him. His past owner was a push over lol.

Also my husband is coming a long ways also!! Couldnt be happier with that. He returned this morning from grocery shopping with sugar cubes, and when i asked why, he said they were for the horse! This comes from the guy who said, " You can have a horse but I'm not spending any time out there". He helps with the feeding, brings his quad with the plow to push snow and manure, helps clean up. He actually likes spending some time out there i think!

tinyliny 04-14-2012 12:31 AM

Congrats on your progress! Doesn't that feel good?

Lindze 04-14-2012 12:52 AM

Very good.... gave Paddy a few extra treats for a job well done... esp since it's been so frustrating after my "mentor" hasnt been around!

Skyseternalangel 04-14-2012 12:59 AM

All hard work pays off, I'm so happy you and your gelding are getting there! :)

Rascaholic 04-14-2012 10:40 AM

LOL give both horse and DH an extra pat for jobs well done!