The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Overnight camping?? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/overnight-camping-119980/)

jillybean19 04-14-2012 01:41 AM

Overnight camping??

I'm all set to go (or at least well on my way!) as far as my horse and and I being conditioning, diet, equipment, etc. goes, but I'm a little worried about the camping aspect for multi-day events or just arriving the night before. I'm fine sleeping in a tent or even in the car, but am still not sure what I'm going to do for my horse. Thus far, I've read about using panels, one of those nifty rods that attach to your trailer for high-tying, and portable electric fences, but am not sure what I want to use or what other options there are. I've always high-lined in between two trees on mountain trails, but there are no trees where these rides are located (maybe high-lining in between two trailers, but I seem to think another endurance rider wasn't too keen on the idea...) To further complicate things, I don't have my own trailer, so I don't have a lot of control of how I want to use the trailer... Is it that bad just to tie your horse up to the side of the trailer? Or what are any other options? Though I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing for my own sleeping accommodations, I'm still interested in hearing how you camp as well :)

Joe4d 04-16-2012 09:56 PM

buy some step in fencve posts some electric tape and a d cell battery fence charger, set up a small corral, you'll need 9 posts, and a gate handle.

traildancer 04-17-2012 01:23 PM

If you meet up with a friend you could high-line between the two trailers.

The first ride I attended, I was able to highline (got there early). The second one, I tied to the trailer.

traildancer 04-17-2012 01:25 PM

Oops---missed the part about you not having a trailer.

When we are going to pack in, we've tied the horses to the trailer that first night at the trailhead. They do fine.

phantomhorse13 04-17-2012 08:54 PM

I use a portable electric corral for Dream. It was relatively inexpensive (just shop around.. some are insanely high priced.. I got my posts on sale at a local horsey outlet and the electric tape and charger at tractor supply).

Do make sure whatever you use, you practice at home with it first, esp if you pic electric and your horse has never experienced that before. I can remember seeing a horse flee thru camp once (trailing various bits of electric tape), that had never been in electric. He got zapped, ran backwards, got zapped and then just bolted blindly, taking the fence with him in his panic. Not good. :shock: