The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   what breeds are you seeing in this stud? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-breeds-you-seeing-stud-120000/)

blue eyed pony 04-14-2012 09:50 AM

what breeds are you seeing in this stud?

2 Attachment(s)
First of all, HE IS NOT MINE. I did not take the photos. I have not met him. I own one of his get.

But, what breeds do you see in him? He is a mixed breed stallion, so it's really anybody's guess.

Am I going mad or is there a strong Welsh influence in his type? He's not full Welsh, his head isn't the right shape. And his ears are SO Arab-y... but what else?

His owners think he is Andalusian/Clyde/Arabian, but it's highly unlikely that he doesn't have something else in him, either in addition to, or instead of, one of those breeds - because his colour does not exist in either Clydes or Arabians, and is extremely rare in Andalusians.

blue eyed pony 04-14-2012 09:55 AM

Forgot to say, he is 14.3hh, so he's not a big boy. He's very nice, IMO... stud quality even though he's only colour registered, not breed.

horsemadgirl 04-14-2012 10:15 AM

I would say defiantly some ANDALUSIAN:)
Definitely looks like there may be some sort of draft in there, wouldn't know what.
The back legs and ears, but especially the back legs are looking very Arabian.
The neck to me looks very Belgian, but i would doubt there would be Belgian in here as they aren't usually crossed. Or shown for that matter.
The neck also looks quite Friesian.
Could also be some Holstein in there.
The head looks quite Cob like also.

Hope this helps :)

blue eyed pony 04-14-2012 10:30 AM

What do you think would cause him to be so small, though? Most of the breeds you're seeing are taller horses and this stallion is only 14.3. That's partly why I'm wondering if there's Welsh Cob in him. That, and the neck.

CLaPorte432 04-14-2012 10:47 AM

893 Attachment(s)
I do see welsh, andalusian and arab. I dont see draft, id expect a thicker built. Unless hes only 1/8th draft, but idk what itd be...?

Cat 04-14-2012 11:06 AM

I do not see Clyde in this horse at all. Andalusian would give the heavier appearance - some of them are quite baroque in their build and would give the thicker neck and such depending on the bloodlines.

As to height - 14.3 hands would be very reasonable for an arabian X andalusian cross. Andalusians average around 15.2 - only 3 inches taller than this guy, and of course that is just the average so individuals both taller and shorter would be expected. 14.3 falls well within what is acceptable for an Arabian.

Welsh Cob is a possibility - especially sine the breed has a lot of Arabian influence.

While he looks gorgeous and he is obviously successful in some sort of showing, I wonder what the decision making process was to keep him a stallion when he was still just a colt when there was no idea who the sire and dam are. Do you know what his story is?

Eolith 04-14-2012 11:17 AM

I definitely see some Welsh Cob in there, and not really any draft.

Thyme 04-14-2012 11:31 AM

I would switch the Clyde with the Welsh :)

Andalusian/arabian/welsh

He is definitaly a BEAUTIFUL stud.

<3

lilruffian 04-14-2012 11:35 AM

I see welsh and possibly some paint. I don't see how his head couldnt be the right shape for a welsh, either. Looks alot like some of the other horses on the internet conformation-wise.

Cat 04-14-2012 12:18 PM