The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Might Try Being Bob's Student; Opinion? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/might-try-being-bobs-student%3B-opinion-120039/)

Stoddard 04-14-2012 07:08 PM

Might Try Being Bob's Student; Opinion?

As you may know (if you've read my post in the Jobs board), I just got a job working as a groom for Bob Hart. I'm super excited about this, because just being a worker there will teach me some new angles in the horse world. In fact, my excitement bubbled so badly that I found their website last night and discovered that being into western and driving wasn't all he was capable of.

So, today before leaving, I ask Bob if he was familiar with Dressage. He said yes, because Dressage is basically the stem for all riding, everything just requires different positioning. Agreeing with everything he spit out in our conversation (which was very awesome), I told him I was very interested in learning Dressage, as well as other styles of riding, to better myself as a rider and mentioned as a side note that it'd probably entertain Butterscotch as well.

I'm certain taking lessons from him will not be cheap by any means. But if anyone else thinks that Dressage is absolutely work every penny that may be put into it, I'll definitely look into it some more.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-14-2012 07:51 PM

Basic riding is the basis of riding, not dressage. If you have a horse who is good in the basics, no matter the sport, s/he will be able to do lower level dressage.

Dressage is the systematic training of the horse to perform different movements with an increasing amount of collection, expression, suspension, etc.. in their gaits. It is primarily a competitive, Olympic sport.

Two totally different things. Anyone that is good at teaching good basics would be a good person to ride with, however at some point you must specialize. Having a solid foundation does however make it easy to excel in your chosen specialization.

Stoddard 04-14-2012 10:41 PM

I prefer western tail riding. Sports wise, I enjoy jumping. I simply wish to take knowledge from each to uild upon and to gain experience to lean on. I don't think he meant Dressage was what everything was built on, but rather the style used to build on in other competive sports. As he said - you use part of it in WP, hunter jumper, and others.