The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Gel vs. sheepskin seat saver (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/gel-vs-sheepskin-seat-saver-12004/)

missy06 07-22-2008 10:45 AM

Gel vs. sheepskin seat saver

I'm not buying a new saddle right now, but definitely need a seat saver to keep my butt happy in the one I'm riding in.

I'm considering either a gel or sheepskin seat saver. Anyone have any input between the two? I feel like the gel would have the potential to slide around less and cause less friction, but I've never used one before.

GallopingGrape 07-22-2008 01:11 PM

Gel will offer more cusion, sheepskin seat savers are only that - seat savers...

missy06 07-22-2008 01:32 PM

Ha, thanks. I think gel might be the way to go as well. This saddle hurts my butt from the minute it plops in the saddle.

DashAwayAll 07-23-2008 06:35 AM

A real lambswool pad is more costly than a fake one, but much more comfortable. They do cushion - it's not just the saddles seat that gets saved. :wink: But neither lasts more than a season or so.

I don't have any personal experience with the gel pads but I have heard that they can heat up and become uncomfortable. The wool ( real or fake) can get bunchy pretty quickly.

It can be tough to find a saddle that fits your horse well and makes your own heiny happy. At tack stores, yard sales, whatever, never pas up the chance to park your back end in a different saddle experience.( Just don't tell your regular saddle about these little flings.) Kind of like an equine Cinderella, does this fit? Does this fit? if you butt is happy your posture /form is better ( and more relaxed) and your horse responds better.

tinyliny 01-17-2011 02:55 AM

My saddle is pretty comfortable with ot without a pad, but nicer with one. I prefer wool. I don't like the heat of Gel pads (not on a hors'es back either) and I don't like the way I kind of "rebound" on a gel pad. It compound any kind of movement of the butt because it absorbs then bounces back, like a wave. Wool just absorbs and deadens any movement, never gets hot, and in fact, I never even know it's there.

kitten_Val 01-17-2011 09:41 AM

I have sheepskin for several years already - very happy with it. Definitely keep the bum warm and much softer to sit in (I use it in summer on trails and in winter on dressage saddle to keep myself warm). I tried the gel one and it feels funny.

apachiedragon 01-17-2011 10:01 AM

I've had both, and I preferred the gel. The sheepskin was fine in the winter for warmth, but for comfort, the gel worked much better. My old saddle was brick hard and that gel pad was the only way I could stand to ride while I saved up for a new saddle. (I had the sheepskin one first did have problems after a while with it stretching and then moving around on my saddle. Which was why I switched to the gel pad, and I was much happier with it.)

chvyluvgrl 01-18-2011 08:21 PM

How does the sheepskin do in the rainy or wetter rides? Does it get wet and chaf? I ride very long distances through many weather conditions usually.

kitten_Val 01-19-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chvyluvgrl (Post 894930)
How does the sheepskin do in the rainy or wetter rides? Does it get wet and chaf? I ride very long distances through many weather conditions usually.

Yeah, that's the good point actually. I don't ride in rain, only in drizzle and snow showers and it was OK (I just shake it afterwords). But I'd say gel may be a better idea in your situation...