The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   We aren't there yet - still need work (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/we-arent-there-yet-still-need-120040/)

farmpony84 04-14-2012 07:26 PM

We aren't there yet - still need work

This wasn't our best ride and we aren't there yet. I've been talking about our issues - as in not getting him to use his butt and you'll see what I mean with his rear. I started him off wrong. I really aimed for slow and never aimed for forward motion so we ended up with a really broken 4 beat kind of trot in the back and canter in the front where he was hauling himself around the ring w/ his head between his knees and it was really a mess.

Then we had saddle issues and back pain that made things even worse. We are definitely moving forward (as in progress now) but we have a long way to go.

In the video I'm kicking with the side of my foot and not my spurs in case anyone is upset. Also he keeps trying to stop and head over to my husband so you'll see me go to the rains everytime I pass the camera.

I'm trying to get his butt moving but It's been a huge battle. We aren't four-beating as much but it's still kind of broken.

I know this is the video section but I'll take advice if anyone has anything to offer. I know I get a little busy with my hands and I have some equitation issues.

He's got a lot of try but he's just not figuring out how to use that massive butt of his. I'm sure some of it is rider and the fact that we went wrong for so long.

There is a spot where I have my reins kind of high - that's on purpose, I'm trying to shorten his stride in the front while pushing him forward in the back... I don't think it really worked though and watching the video I think I may not be doing it quite right.

At the end of the video I put him into english movement and I think he does better there.

I know my belly is huge and jiggly. Magical diet advice is accepted.

spurstop 04-14-2012 11:11 PM

Has he been seen by a chiro lately? He looks off in the hind end.

Part of the problem with your lope is that he isn't really being prepped for it before being asked to lope off, so he is throwing himself into it.

I think if you go ahead and shorten your reins and ride him with a little contact for a bit it would help. You are raising your hand, but there is no reaction from your horse.

At the lope, remember that you want the inside front leg to have the same reach as the diagonal hind leg. It will give a more balanced, flowing lope. You also want the horse to be free with the railside front leg. If he gets peggy on it, that will disrupt the flow of the gate.

Really push his hip to the inside and prep him for the lope before asking for it. Hold it to the inside to establish your rhythm and then let him go a bit straighter.

Hope that helps.

farmpony84 04-14-2012 11:20 PM

That does help and I usually do a little more prep before asking for the lope, I was trying to move kind of "fast" to get all the transitions in the video but I geuss I should have just taken my time more. I seem to go into it alot better if I start the lope from the back rather then from the jog but I'm thinking I really need to start working on my upward/downward transitions but maybe not? Usually I will actually start the lope w/ 2 hands and really kick him into motion before going to one hand but again - for the video I wanted to go through the motions quicker. Maybe I should go ahead and do another video though..?

As for the chiro - she was out about a month ago. He's seen her twice now. I also have some adequan shots in the fridge that he's due for. I don't think it's back pain or any pain that's making him look discombobulated though. I wish I had a picture of his lope from before. It was actually a trot in the back and then a lope in the front. It felt gaited to be truthful. I have felt him do a really good lope a few times now but we just aren't consistent yet.

I'm thinking I need to build up the muscles in the back end? And then I'm thinking ... I have to get a little more agressive w/ the checking of the reins... Just for a minute or two because he really does not care about a bit....

farmpony84 04-14-2012 11:22 PM

...About the hip.... I haven't been to my trainer in a month (hoping to set up a lesson this weekend)

She says that all the time, he's riding with his left hip out and she's always making me push it in. I'm thinking that might effect the lope too. That is so hard to fix. I don't know if that's a him issue or a me issue... Like if I'm pushing him that way without realizing it or if he just travels crooked...

spurstop 04-14-2012 11:39 PM

He actually looked off at the jog to me, but I may be seeing something that isn't there.

Go ahead and take your time to set him up for the transitions. Even when you are showing, it's better to take your time and get it right then rush it and look bad.

farmpony84 04-14-2012 11:42 PM

I'll have to pay more attention when I ride him tomorrow to see if he feels off at the jog. My ground isn't real even and he was kind of arguing with me about which direction we were going but I'll pay attention. He did fracture his hip as a baby so there is always a concern with his rear. That's why I have him on the adequan and even smartflex supplements. I put him on magnesium when his back was hurting him (which was muscle pain probably caused by more saddle - it was a bad fit) and I never did take him off that...

tinyliny 04-15-2012 12:09 AM

In the words of Max, "how long do we have to tape her?"

I don't do WP, so I cannot really see what is correct or not , as per WP. I did seem to me that he went a lot better when you started posting and asked him for a more energetic trot. Is there any reason you could not have that kind of trot and sit it, as a jog?

farmpony84 04-15-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1455470)
In the words of Max, "how long do we have to tape her?"

I don't do WP, so I cannot really see what is correct or not , as per WP. I did seem to me that he went a lot better when you started posting and asked him for a more energetic trot. Is there any reason you could not have that kind of trot and sit it, as a jog?

I feel like he may be happier english. In western he is supposed to be energetic. There are a few times in the video where he rounds and has a little pep in his step but for most of it he's flat and lethargic. That's part of what I mean by no consistency. I still need to figure out the fine line between nagging and asking for what I want. Think I'm still nagging.

I don't know if we'll ever canter/lope correctly...:cry:

farmpony84 04-15-2012 04:42 PM

The video is really shaky because my 8 year old took it but I tried to listen to Caroline and put a little more pep in my step and then I did try to prepare him more before asking for the lope and I took the reins up shorter. Trying to post 2 videos but they are really hard to watch...

farmpony84 04-15-2012 07:49 PM

Little Butt put the camera on the picnic table in this one so the video is steadier. It's smaller but steadier. When I canter the second direction if you look at his back legs you'll see the broken-ness...