The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Horse new to showing and riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/horse-new-showing-riding-120041/)

JSMidnight 04-14-2012 07:28 PM

Horse new to showing and riding

I have a horse that is just starting to be ridden and I am going to ride him in a regional show this summer in a couple of novice horse classes and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to go to a smaller schooling show to see how he does before the big show.

The regional show will be his second show in his life and his first show under saddle. I'm not to worried about how he places, its just something fun to do. His first show he did really well and wasn't spooked or scared of anything, he acted like a champ and got first place in halter. What are your opinions?

JSMidnight 04-14-2012 09:14 PM

Anybody?

waresbear 04-14-2012 09:23 PM

Of course. The more you take him to town, the more experienced & relaxed he'll be, & you too! Enjoy!

spurstop 04-14-2012 10:40 PM

Obviously it is up to you if you want to take the horse to schooling shows to practice or not.

I always take mine to schooling shows, even the current show horse as it gives me another venue to practice at a lower cost.

JSMidnight 04-14-2012 11:05 PM

Thank you. I was really wanting to know because he will only have a month or 2 of being ridden if I were to do a schooling show. I think I might, but I will wait to see how he is doing when it comes up. Thanks again.

oh vair oh 04-15-2012 04:00 PM

Sounds like a bad idea to me. 2 months of riding is not enough time to prepare a horse for a show. I would wait for the regional show, or take him to the schooling show and just let him sit and see the sights. For one, I think schooling shows are more crazy than larger shows. Secondly, how much training is he going to have on him?

tlkng1 04-15-2012 04:02 PM

As was pointed out, all the better to at least get the exposure.

Oh Vair...I see no reason that if a horse is physically capable of the show and is entered only in classes that are within the horse's ability, why they can't or shouldn't be shown with minimal training. Now, if the horse is out of shape or has issues related to spooking or other things that needs time to settle, OK, I can agree..don't show or wait until the horse is more physically able to handle it.

equiniphile 04-15-2012 04:18 PM

Absolutely! Even if you don't show in them, take him to a few local/schooling shows to get comfortable with the atmosphere.

JSMidnight 04-15-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh vair oh (Post 1456074)
Sounds like a bad idea to me. 2 months of riding is not enough time to prepare a horse for a show. I would wait for the regional show, or take him to the schooling show and just let him sit and see the sights. For one, I think schooling shows are more crazy than larger shows. Secondly, how much training is he going to have on him?

About 3 to 3 1/2 months of solid riding. He is a very easily trained horse and takes everything in stride. I haven't found anything that scares him in months. And the stuff that doesn't scare him doesn't scare him for long. His first 3 rides ever, I was riding bareback and only had a halter and lead rope. I know that is kind of stupid to do but I know him well enough that he wasn't going to do anything. He responded well and listened like he was a broke horse.