The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Broken Wrist or Sprained Wrist? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/broken-wrist-sprained-wrist-120063/)

LoveHaflingers 04-14-2012 11:44 PM

Broken Wrist or Sprained Wrist?

First of all, this was not a riding accident. I was on my own two feet, and I think that actually was the problem. :lol:

So, I would just like some opinions and such on if you think I broke my wrist or sprained it. It just happened today, so if it isn't any better by tomorrow, we'll probably go to the doctor's.

So anyways. I was in a big gym, and some kid challenged me to a race across the gym. I thought he just meant to one side, but he actually meant to one side and back. So I got to the other side, and turned around. Then, I saw him take off back again. So I ran as fast as I could after him. I wasn't even thinking about stopping. So I rammed into the wall, running full speed, with a lot of momentum behind me. And I hit the wall flat with my two hand. Ow. It might be because, since I'm right-handed, my right hand is stronger, or maybe I just hit the left hand harder, but after a few minutes, the pain in the right hand went away, but my left hand still hurts like heck.

It's been about 12 hours since. Once I got home, about 5 hours after it, I put some ice on it, then wrapped it in a bandage. After the movie we went to tonight (The Hunger Games! Loved it, but the book definitely was more detailed, and I liked it better!), I took it out of the bandage for a while, then put it back on.

It did swell some, not too much though, and the swelling basically stopped after I put ice on it. But it hurts a lot. Even just holding it up makes it ache, and typing like this gives it little jolts of pain. I can move my fingers (obviously), but if I move my wrist, it hurts. I can move it about 1/2 -1 inch up, then it feels stiff, and If I move it any farther, it hurts a lot. I can move it down a bit farther, but it still hurts. Side to side is out of the question. The only time it doesn't hurt much at all is if I just keep it completely still. Then I can feel the blood pulsing in it.

So, what do you think, break or sprain? It isn't discolored or disfigured either. What should I do? Things I should look for? Thanks!

CLaPorte432 04-14-2012 11:48 PM

Very possible that it could be fractured. I'd get into the dr tomorrow morning and get an xray. I've had fractures and I didn't go to the dr right away because they didn't seem that bad. I could still move okay, but over the next couple of days, my strength progressively weakened, went to the dr and walked out with hard casts both times for 6 weeks.

MissColors 04-14-2012 11:52 PM

Rule of thumb. If you have to question it, Its not safe to guess. Go to the hospital.

I didn't go when i broke my hand. I went the next day but I had messes it up more by not getting the right answers first because I blew it off for a sprain.

To me it sounds broken.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 04-14-2012 11:54 PM

Sprains usually make it feel like you have a really weak muscle. IT hurts to move and it becomes impossible to move because the muscle feels like it's been stretches out so much that it cant' contract again. I can only describe it as that.

If you have pain when you don't move it all, then it's likely a fracture.

LoveHaflingers 04-15-2012 11:33 AM

OK, thanks guys. The swellings come back, and now my whole hand from the wrist up looks puffy. Sprain or fracture, I'll probably get to the Dr's today.

CLaPorte432 04-15-2012 11:35 AM

Thats probably a good idea.

LoveHaflingers 04-19-2012 10:49 PM

Ok, turns out it's neither. I apparently injured the growth plate in my wrist. So I know have to wear a wrist brace for 3 weeks. Takes some getting used to...

And, of course, the doctor SAID no riding, but obviously that is not possible for me (and probably many of us on here) for 3 weeks, and a simple hurt wrist is not gonna stop me. Just no jumping and crazy riding. ;-D

GreySorrel 04-20-2012 09:38 AM

LoveHaflingers..if it is the growth plate you injured, please, listen to the doctor and don't ride. Yea, we don't like to think about it but it really is important and if you do more damage, you will pay for it later on in life, trust me, my old creaky bones remind me all the time why I should of listened...hahahaha.

Hope you heal quickly and are back to doing things again in no time!