The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Can anyone recommend where to look for minis? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/can-anyone-recommend-where-look-minis-120064/)

steedaunh32 04-14-2012 11:53 PM

Can anyone recommend where to look for minis?

We live in Southern California and I've having a difficult time finding good quality, family pet minis. Everything I see is show quality and thousands of dollars...which is fine, just not what I'm looking for. Or, a bunch of untrained, untouched yearlings that are still pretty expensive. I know the market here tends to be more than other parts of the country, I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend where to look? Thanks!

davidsonknollfarm 04-15-2012 08:59 AM

Well, if California is anything like NY there are minis everywhere. Minis are the easiest horse to care for or not care for. People collect them and then lose control and they keep breeding. Lots of rescue cases in our area. I would suggest you either talk to some local vets or how about a human society. You could also talk to breeders b/c most of them have their hands on where all the minis are. Tell them what you want. Do a search in your area on the internet for a miniature horse club too. Oh, what about 4-H. If you contact them, they might know of a few. Good luck and let us know what happens. I have a rescued one -- well, I rescued 3 and one of them was pregnant. I found homes for all the others and kept the baby. She is our farm mascot. :0)

Cacowgirl 04-15-2012 12:05 PM

have you looked in NOrco? I know there is a breeder there,probably more than 1. I believe their ranch is on California Street.

BoldComic 04-15-2012 12:12 PM

L'il Beginnings Miniature Horse Forums

Miniature horse forum (the most active I've found) with lots of breeders and mini horse enthusiasts. I know that the people here will be more than happy to help you find just the horse you are looking for!

lilruffian 04-15-2012 12:51 PM

You could always post a wanted add and list in detail what you are looking for on a favorite site. You'd be surprised how many people will reply ;)

MisssMarie 04-15-2012 12:53 PM

I know there's a breeder in the Yorba Linda area
Posted via Mobile Device

PonderosaMiniatures 04-16-2012 06:51 PM

Az, craigsist there are tons that need homes, and reasonable prices..try Phoenix, area,

MissVycki 04-22-2012 01:54 AM

Where in Ca are you?

Joe4d 04-22-2012 06:18 AM

at a very small barn :rofl:

Endiku 04-25-2012 04:49 PM

Very funny, Joe xD there is some truth to it though...our 35 acre farm would normally only hold about 12 full sized horses, but instead, we have 25 minis!

What can I say? They're addicting.

OP, try contacting a breeder and tell them what you're looking for. A lot of them have young mares and geldings that didn't quite cut the show criteria and are in need of companion homes, but they go fast. In our area you can get a nice, healthy, well built (just not good enough for a show home) yearling for $200-300 out of good parents and that is generally atleast fairly well socialized.