The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Sick Chicken? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/sick-chicken-120066/)

LikeIke17 04-15-2012 12:22 AM

Sick Chicken?

I have a chicken who appears to be sick. Much more like she's depressed. She barely eats, so has lost lots of weight. She barely drinks as well. She simply sits in the little "cubbies" where they lay their eggs. If you walk in there, she gets really fluffed up and "screeches" as you. Hasn't offered to bite/peck.... yet. I don't think she is laying but she might be. Not totally sure. She has the capability to fly still, and can walk around fine it seems. I often take her out of the coop and put her out in the yard with the others. She'll peck around a little and then head straight back for her spot. I don't know what I can do to make her better. Has anyone had this happen before? What did you do?

waresbear 04-15-2012 09:23 PM

Your chicken flies? I'd be calling someone about that....

mvinotime 04-15-2012 11:51 PM

Sorry to hear about your chicken. Google "Backyard Chickens Forum" it is a wonderful and very informative forum with a special sectionm for chicken health questions etc I am sure someone there will be able to provide some info. Good luck.

Lockwood 04-15-2012 11:58 PM

She sounds like she could be sick, .. or.. she could be in broody mode. I have had chickens go broody (mother hen on eggs) when there were no eggs under her and she "protects" her nest anyway. Her behavior sounds just like a hen brooding eggs. They only get up once a day to eat, drink, and potty and once they are done with that and a few dirt scratches, they race back to the nest. They loose weight like this too, but the fact that she's fluffing feathers and screeching at you sounds like she's trying to defend her nest.

I second looking around for different chicken forums for more info.

chandra1313 04-16-2012 12:34 AM

I'd say she is broody.

Delfina 04-16-2012 01:17 AM

Sounds broody. Try offering her food/water while she's in the box. We did that with our latest broody hen and it kept her from losing weight and she was a whole lot friendlier this time.

LAhorses 04-16-2012 10:04 PM

We have a broody hen too, I crushed up half of a tums and mixed it with water. Put it on a spoon and feed her in the box. Also look at the type of feed you are giving. I was giving dumor from tsc and switched to layna from purina and have had good results. Hope this helps. I also gave her a nice warm bath cuz I thought she had an egg stuck, but I'm a little crazy!

GreySorrel 04-17-2012 08:04 AM

I bet she is going broody on you, wanting to sit on eggs and have little baby peeps around! If you want to break her of this, if you have a dog kennel or cage, take her and put her in there for a few days, no bedding at the bottom as the bedding will only keep her in the broody mode. Give her food and water and in about 3 or 4 days, should break the cycle. Unfortunately they do this often and I have given away 2 really beautiful hens because I prefer eggs and when they brood, they do not lay.

DebSandy 05-06-2012 07:42 PM

I have a hen that is about 5 years old. She has always been a baby, but now she seems to be isolating herself, from the other 4 hens. She comes out of the coop, but usually sits by herself somewhere in a corner looking kind of relaxed, or depressed, I'm not sure which one. Her egg opening seems sore and red, so I cleaned her backside, and put on some anti-biotic. She is eating and drinking. Please help.

LAhorses 05-06-2012 08:31 PM

She could have had an egg that broke inside or one stuck. If it broke she can get an infection if it's stuck she could get very sick. Does she feel like she has an egg by her vent? If she does calcium with crushed tums and a warm bath to help loosen muscles, but keep her warm and cushion her nest. Also I have heard putting mineral oil or similar by her vent to help slide the egg out. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device