The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Chestnut or Dark Palomino? also Satin Gene?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/chestnut-dark-palomino-also-satin-gene-120092/)

ChestnutMad 04-15-2012 01:04 PM

Chestnut or Dark Palomino? also Satin Gene??

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, i'm just wondering what colour my mare is, i've always thought that she was a chestnut however i'm starting to wonder if she truly is a chestnut or a dark palomino.
She has a golden muzzle
white flaxen in her tail but not completely white just abit and also alittle in her mane
she has cream coloured freckles in genital areas and on the inside of her back legs
she also smutts up when fed molasses
her eyes are a hazel colour

i'm also questioning if she has the satin gene as she glows/ gives of a gorgeous sheen even if not bathed or brushed
i have considered having her gene tested for cream gene, does anybody have any experiences with this?

heres some pictures to see what you think, the thing is that i'm thinking of breeding her however if she does have the cream gene i can't breed her to a cremalo due to then breeding a cremalo instead of a palomino

BarrelracingArabian 04-15-2012 01:32 PM

Too me with the not so gokd pictures she looks chestnut all the way
Posted via Mobile Device

DrumRunner 04-15-2012 01:33 PM

I'm not a color expert but I do know you'll need better pictures for people to go by.

lilruffian 04-15-2012 01:49 PM

Looks chestnut to me. All the "cream" areas you are describing are a characteristic of chestnut as well and her mane would be much lighter and a different color if she were any sort of palomino.

DraftyAiresMum 04-15-2012 01:56 PM

Chestnut for sure.

Her coat is too red to be a palomino. Palominos (even DARK DARK palominos and "chocolate" palominos are more gold/yellow than red). Her mane and tail are not the unsullied white blonde color that palominos are. Unless a palomino is sooty, their manes and tails are a solid white blonde, no red or other colors mixed in.

palominolover 04-15-2012 02:45 PM

Chestnut for sure :). Like others have stated she has a red tinge and too dark of a tail and mane. I have NEVER seen a palomino with a red tail or mane, not even if they are sooty.

Better pictures would be the best to go by though.

Country Woman 04-15-2012 02:59 PM

looks like a chestnut to me

DrumRunner 04-15-2012 03:00 PM

She looks chestnut to me, but we can be more accurate with better pictures.

As for your other question..While there is a cream gene, as of now there is no such thing as a "Satin Gene".. You're mare just looks like she MAY be champagne.

There MAY be a "Satin Gene" in the future, IF it is chosen to investigate and test for, but right now it is not a recognized "gene". It is simply JUST a shiny horse...Just because any horse is super shiny does not mean it has a super special gene.

ChestnutMad 04-15-2012 03:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
yeah i thought she was chestnut too for years as i've had her for almost 8 years now but i've been reading this webpage on the cream gene as i'm sure she has it because she smutts up when fed molasses and there're not sure what to make of her and they suggested that she could be a dark palomino as they sometimes are mistaken for being chestnuts, and they also surgested that she could be a champagne however i don't think she is a full champagne because she doesn't have the freckling around the eye but she does have that shine that most champagnes have but more shiney.
i had read something like a debate on the satin gene and it made me wonder because my pony has such a shine, yes i know well looked after horses/ponies should have a shine because my other one has a well looked after shine but sherry takes it to a different level, if your wondering i don't feed her any supplements etc its all natural, i don't even need to bath her or groom her to have this kind of sheen. i have never used a show sheen on her eighther because theres no need because of her sheen, and i always get asked what show sheen i use and they rarely believe me when i says i don't use one.
i'm not sure if this helps but on her quarters she has a cream/white patch, i always assumed that it was due to an injurey however her breeder and her old owner before us said that she was never injured their and if she scars she scars dark hairs not cream/white.
Her Cream/White hairs are white down to the root and not sure if this helps but her skin colour is a lightish gray and her freckles underneath are creamy pink.
i have attached some more pictures however they don't do her justice as you need to see her to see her true colouring, they look darker than what she really is, in the picture of her eye is to show that she doesn't have freckling around it (her eyes is brighter in real life), the one of her in the feild is about closest to her real colour (mainly on the neck area and face)

NdAppy 04-15-2012 05:42 PM

Chestnut/sorrel. No cream. No champagne. No "satin."

A champagne horse is either champagne or not. There is no "part" champagne.