The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Newbie introduction and tips for a girl back in the saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/newbie-introduction-tips-girl-back-saddle-120094/)

KDB 04-15-2012 01:04 PM

Newbie introduction and tips for a girl back in the saddle?

Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum, but have been reading for a while. I have been riding for about a year now after having almost 3 years off from a really bad car accident.
I have a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injuries, shoulder injuries, internal artery injuries… The list basically goes on and on.
I have been working a lot on basic flat work and small jumps (under 1 foot) and my instructor says that i am doing very well. But i have one constant problem with my riding that i never had before. POSTURE.
My shoulder is much weaker on the left side because of my injuries, and i am doing a ton of rehab to this day to work on this. But my shoulder always falls forward (especially when i am in the canter). Do any of you guys have any tips to do at home/while you are riding that can help train my shoulder to stay straight?! It's really beginning to aggravate me.

JSMidnight 04-15-2012 01:30 PM

Other than your rehab I might recommend this to help out when your riding.

EquiFit ShouldersBack Lite - Rider Therapeutics from SmartPak Equine

RoosHuman 04-15-2012 01:34 PM

Good luck to you on your rehab!! I have witnessed TBIs, and wish you a happy recovery. I am not sure if this would work or not, but maybe your instructor can put you on a lunge line, and you can work on arm stretches. This might help your mobility and also increase your strength in different areas.

KDB 04-20-2012 11:16 AM

Thank you guys! I'm going to try talking to my instructor about doing some lunge work on Saturday, and i really like the back support… Sorry for the late reply. I forgot i posted anything lol.
Will be looking in to both options this week :)