The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What to do with your horse during a storm? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-your-horse-during-storm-120113/)

EquestrianCowgirl4 04-15-2012 06:43 PM

What to do with your horse during a storm?

Well i am in a tornado warning right now... We are in the basement... Right now my horses are out in a 1 acre pasture with a shelter...
You don't want them in a stall right? Cuz the barn could get damage and collapse and they can't run.....
Just freaking out a bit... If this isn't what i should do tell me I can't really go out now but for future reffrence...

OkieGal 04-15-2012 06:44 PM

Yes, keep them in the field.
The best thing you can do is put your contact info on their halters and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

EquestrianCowgirl4 04-15-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieGal (Post 1456178)
The best thing you can do is put your contact info on their halters and hope for the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok that's what I always thought just u know freaking out.. The barn has all my info and my halters r easy to get

tlkng1 04-15-2012 06:48 PM

They are better off outside. Horses have pretty good instincts and will go away from the path if they have enough room. If the tornado isn't huge and the path stays steady, it is possible for the horses to avoid.

Tornado warnngs these days are also deceptive..they give a warning if the radar shows the typical hook echo even if one hasn't been sighted actually on ground.

Best wishes...scary circumstances I know....

EquestrianCowgirl4 04-15-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 1456181)
They are better off outside. Horses have pretty good instincts and will go away from the path if they have enough room. If the tornado isn't huge and the path stays steady, it is possible for the horses to avoid.

Tornado warnngs these days are also deceptive..they give a warning if the radar shows the typical hook echo even if one hasn't been sighted actually on ground.

Best wishes...scary circumstances I know....

yeah It's all good now... The tornado is really north now

Poco1220 04-15-2012 07:00 PM

Mine are always out during storms. However if it looks like its going to be really bad I do put his leather halter on. Mainly because it has his name and my name on it so if he runs from the storm and is found somewhere he can be both identified and easily linked back to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

EquestrianCowgirl4 04-15-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poco1220 (Post 1456192)
Mine are always out during storms. However if it looks like its going to be really bad I do put his leather halter on. Mainly because it has his name and my name on it so if he runs from the storm and is found somewhere he can be both identified and easily linked back to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah I should get her name on a halter

EquestrianCowgirl4 04-15-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieGal (Post 1456178)
Posted via Mobile Device

oh haha i get what you mean now with the halters