The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western Saddle Measurements? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-measurements-120159/)

BitingTheBit 04-16-2012 03:50 AM

Western Saddle Measurements?

I can finally afford a new western saddle.
i have done some research and have decided i going to purchase the saddle online.
The only thing is i don't know how to measure my mare for the saddle measurements without doing the whole ' mould wire from horses back onto cardboard and put it under the saddles at the shop ( i know, very vague, but hopefully you know what i mean).
So i was wondering if you could give me some tips on how and where to measure on the saddle so i can buy the right size online. ( You know how it shows the size in the sale description or next to a photo etc )

Thankyou :-)

Ladytrails 04-16-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BitingTheBit (Post 1456800)
I can finally afford a new western saddle.
i have done some research and have decided i going to purchase the saddle online.
The only thing is i don't know how to measure my mare for the saddle measurements without doing the whole ' mould wire from horses back onto cardboard and put it under the saddles at the shop ( i know, very vague, but hopefully you know what i mean).
So i was wondering if you could give me some tips on how and where to measure on the saddle so i can buy the right size online. ( You know how it shows the size in the sale description or next to a photo etc )

Crestridge saddlery has instructions for doing a wire mold and measuring at specific distances. This will tell you the gullet size range you need, and whether it's regular or wide tree. Their website is Crest Ridge Saddlery Home and the saddle fitting instructions are at How to Measure for the Best Fitting Saddle .

Good luck!

iridehorses 04-16-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BitingTheBit (Post 1456800)

You can't. There is more to the size then measuring the gullet (which is generally the measurement that saddle shops give) but if you haven't measured your horse, how do you know it is the right size? Secondly, gullet size is not the only thing you want to know, you also want to know the angle of the bars and how that will match to your horse.

Don't take a short cut if you are doing this on line, you need to measure your horse.

With 2 saddles having a 6 3/4" gullet, one saddle may say QHB and the other may say FQHB - or they may both say QHB. It isn't like shoe sizes, each manufacturer decides what angle that represents and one saddle may fit while the other doesn't.

newbierider 04-18-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladytrails (Post 1456804)
Crestridge saddlery has instructions for doing a wire mold and measuring at specific distances. This will tell you the gullet size range you need, and whether it's regular or wide tree. Their website is Crest Ridge Saddlery Home and the saddle fitting instructions are at How to Measure for the Best Fitting Saddle .

Good luck!

great site! I saw the same advice at the horse expo during a saddle demo,
using those measurements helps estimate gullet and flare.

Country Woman 04-18-2012 01:26 AM

very good site
very helpful

Tack Collector 04-18-2012 11:08 AM

horsesaddleshop.com has free download templates, 3 of them SQHB, regular QHB, and FQHB. Download, cut out of cardboard. You can use the big piece to fit the horse, and the other one that you cut out for holding up to on fitting inside the gullet of used saddles. I don't know where on that site they templates are. Look for saddlefitting.

BitingTheBit 04-19-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladytrails (Post 1456804)

Good luck!

This was very helpful and there was plenty of detail, thank you!

BitingTheBit 04-19-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tack Collector (Post 1460003)
horsesaddleshop.com has free download templates, 3 of them SQHB, regular QHB, and FQHB. Download, cut out of cardboard. You can use the big piece to fit the horse, and the other one that you cut out for holding up to on fitting inside the gullet of used saddles. I don't know where on that site they templates are. Look for saddlefitting.

Fantastic! Thank you.