The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   what is Adequan? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-adequan-120171/)

Barrel Baby 04-16-2012 09:03 AM

what is Adequan?

hi! I was just wondering what adequan is :) ive seen several posts about it, but still cant figure out what it is...and what its used for.
can you help me? :)

Skyseternalangel 04-16-2012 09:04 AM

Animal Health Products - Horse Arthritis - Luitpold Animal Health

What I found on google.. never heard of it but that explains it fairly well!

oceanne 04-16-2012 09:08 AM

Adequan is a medication we use in the treatment of arthritis and degenerative joint disease or joint injury.Its administered I.M.
Does your horse have arthritis or an injury thats causing lameness?

Barrel Baby 04-20-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanne (Post 1456944)
Adequan is a medication we use in the treatment of arthritis and degenerative joint disease or joint injury.Its administered I.M.
Does your horse have arthritis or an injury thats causing lameness?

She does have arthritis, but its not to a point to where its caused her to be lame. :)
is it only for horses that are lame because of arthritis? Or is it a shot to give because they have arthritis?

Sorry for all the questions :)
Thanks for helping!

Barrel Baby 04-20-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1456940)
Animal Health Products - Horse Arthritis - Luitpold Animal Health

What I found on google.. never heard of it but that explains it fairly well!

Thank you! :)

iridehorses 04-20-2012 08:47 AM

There are several different joint supplements and some can be given through feed. Many riders use it as well.

farmpony84 04-20-2012 10:21 AM

I don't have the magical words that a vet would have but it can be used not only for the treatment of arthritis, or degenerative issues and injuries but also proactively. It is the only joint treatment that replenishes the cynovial fluids. (I think I said that right). It really is good stuff but it's expensive. They generally want you to give the first "loading dose" which is about $300. It's a shot every three to four days for a month and then after that you can drop it to once or twice a month if it's just a maintenance dose.

I do use it and I think I've seen quite a difference since I've started it. My horse fractured his pelvis as a baby and while he doesn't have an official diagnosis of arthritis, with that type of injury it's only a matter of time. It is a prescription drug so you have to get it from your vet. But it is legal for show.

It's about $46 per vial.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-20-2012 10:27 AM

Treatment, and prevention is huge too. It is the lifeblood of most highly competitive horses.
However I have not heard of it being approved for human use.

Adequan is a PSGAG and mimics cartilage in the joints to protect and even repair damage in the joint structure. Here are some possibly more informative articles:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Inf...x_eq_psgag.pdf
Merck Veterinary Manual

ETA: Farmpony, it is Legend or Hylarounic Acid which replaces synovial fluid, not PSGAGs.

Barrel Baby 04-23-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks for all your help!!!!