The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Animal Abuse Speech Advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/animal-abuse-speech-advice-120222/)

EthanQ 04-16-2012 05:15 PM

Animal Abuse Speech Advice?

Hello all. I have persuasive paper that I am adding the finishing touches to for my Speech class tomorrow. I'm doing it over Animal Abuse Awareness, and am wondering if I have covered all the topics under it. So far I have covered animal factories and puppy mills. I have some statistics. and Animal fighting. Does anyone else have anything that would fall into this speech? Thanks.

Speed Racer 04-16-2012 05:23 PM

Hmm, are you including neglect as well as abuse? That can tip over into abuse very easily.

Northernstar 04-16-2012 05:32 PM

Right off the bat I can suggest horse abuse/neglect if you haven't thought of it already, of course. Back in Jan., there were 5 horses severely starving and dehydrated that were rescued (about 45 mi from my area) - there were 2 others, but they were so severe, they were stuck to the snow, and so malnourished they could no longer rise. It was all over our local news, and the remaining 5 now under excellent care. The owner was using drugs, went to jail (is still there too!), and is in deep trouble. I donated time/supplies to help one afternoon, and I've never witnessed anything like it in my life. Sweet horses, and grateful for who knows how long, all the food they could eat, water, and lots of love and attention! Happy Ending: When the vet gives the o.k. for a clean bill of health, they already have happy homes waiting to adopt them by competant horse owners! BTW the horrible owner will never be allowed to own animals again when she gets out of jail which hopefully won't be for some time!

EthanQ 04-16-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks! I also included the prison sentences that go along with different cases. Thanks for your help!

Northernstar 04-16-2012 07:55 PM

You're welcome - we're all in this together, and good luck on your speech :)

Faceman 04-16-2012 10:28 PM

Just as a pointer, whichever side you are taking, make sure you make your arguments both reasonable and logical - not emotional, and not wacko, both of which will discredit your position.

As to other things to look at, IMO the "use or abuse?" debate is possibly the most interesting, challenging, and controversial. And nowhere do you see it more than with horses. Where to draw the line between use and abuse is really an intriguing debate...at least to me...