The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   "Stolen"? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/stolen-120225/)

Jazzmosis 04-16-2012 05:54 PM

"Stolen"?

Hi,
It's my first post here. I've always been a "lurker", never a poster.

These are not the real names of people, obviously.
I'd like your opinion on what to do, please.

I'll start from the beginning:

My Mother in law purchased a horse off of a man (let's call him Bob) we both knew (recommended by a couple of people!) It was a cheap horse, but it was perfect for a beginner. He even gave her lessons at home for a cheap rate!

They became good friends and we (family) even helped him out in a time of crisis. We even allowed Bob to keep a few of his horses on our property, free of charge (he had no grass at the time).

Things went smooth for a couple of months. But then my Mother in law became mentally ill and could no longer work with her horse. So she decided to sell her, instead of rotting in a field.

Bob decided that he would buy the horse back from my Mother in law for the same price she brought it off of him. Both parties agreed and she allowed Bob to take the horse (and his own) back to his yard where he would sell her and give her the money.

A couple of months pass, and the two are still good friends. Bob went through a rough patch and needed some emotional support from us. We happily gave it to him, since he was such a nice guy.

My MIL decided to give him a couple of months to get back onto his feet (fair enough).

Recently, she's been speaking with him on the phone; and he has fobbed her off with excuses. He has no money, ect.

And now he is saying that my MIL GAVE him this horse, free of charge!
Bob said that if she wanted the horse back, she would have to pay double the price for it!

I was outraged! I wanted to get in the car and take the horse back (even if I had to walk it!).

But due to my MIL health, she told me to "let it go" and "forget about it".

Although the horse WAS cheap, it's not right to let someone get away with this.

Any suggestions on what to do? I want to get the horse back, or sell it. We DO have the passport for it.

I'm not sure what to do. We all feel very betrayed by this man. He was nice, and I don't want to believe he is a con man, but...

I know that my MIL was a fool to give him the horse, but we trusted him. Can he do this?

Also, if this is in the wrong place; I apologise. Please feel free to move it to the appropriate place. Thank you.

nvr2many 04-16-2012 06:03 PM

WOW! Where are you located? Laws can be different in different countries.

Jazzmosis 04-16-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 1457722)
WOW! Where are you located? Laws can be different in different countries.

I'm from the UK.

Mary Liz 04-16-2012 06:20 PM

Well first Hello/Welcome! That is crazy, I don't know how that works though being it was a verbal agreement(?) to sell the horse and he bought the horse back technically. But maybe its different since you were a witness to the agreement. I would definitely check on that hopefully it works out to where you can get the horse or sell the horse.

Jazzmosis 04-16-2012 06:24 PM

My MIL did pay for it and she has the passport.
Bob has NOT paid for it.

If you meant Bob had brought it back. He "said" he would, but has not.

No money has exchanged hands the second time around (Bob buying it back).
Sorry if I'm getting muddled up! :P

nvr2many 04-16-2012 06:39 PM

Passport meaning, bill of sale?? And here in the us possession is 9/10th's of the law (at least it used to be) so is there any way you can just go get it???

Jazzmosis 04-16-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 1457781)
Passport meaning, bill of sale?? And here in the us possession is 9/10th's of the law (at least it used to be) so is there any way you can just go get it???

We did not have a bill of sale/contract, which was foolish on our part. We do have her passport.
Does it count for anything?

Mary Liz 04-16-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzmosis (Post 1457752)
My MIL did pay for it and she has the passport.
Bob has NOT paid for it.

If you meant Bob had brought it back. He "said" he would, but has not.

No money has exchanged hands the second time around (Bob buying it back).
Sorry if I'm getting muddled up! :P

O! Then it is still her horse but without the bill of sale that might be hard to prove. I don't know how they would look at the passport in a situation like this.

Adam 04-16-2012 09:59 PM

Just wanted to throw this up for those of us who are not sure what a horse passport is.... (I had no idea what it was, found this on Google)

Horse passports - why you need them and what they contain : Directgov - Home and community

Cat 04-16-2012 10:08 PM

A situation like this is so frustrating because it can be hard to prove your side of the story in court.

I'm wondering since you said your MILs health is poor and she doesn't want to pursue this, if maybe dropping it is the best thing for her sake. It can feel frustrating not being able to make things right, but sometimes health and the stress-free path are best. If you drop it and cut him out of your life he really is the one losing in this because he lost you guys. He lost the support you guys have provided him and your friendship. Maybe someday he will wake up and realize what he lost over a horse.