The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Cant tell if my Mini Horse is Pregnant!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/cant-tell-if-my-mini-horse-120265/)

HorseyLolly 04-16-2012 11:06 PM

Cant tell if my Mini Horse is Pregnant!!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

So I have a miniature horse mare and she has gotten 'suspiciously' large and I am wondering if she may in fact be pregnant. She was running with studs when I bought her but she was so young I think the woman did not think she could ever be bred (or she did not care, which is more likely). She was around 9months old when I bought her so I feel like it is VERY unlikely she would have come into season at such a young age and was bred. But I have read stories online of it happening, so apparently it can happen.

I examined her udders/teats this evening and she has what appears to be yellow/tan scabs on the end. She did not look to be bagging up, but after taking pictures and looking at non-pregnant mares (online pics) they seem to be a little swollen? So she might be bagging up? I really have no idea as this is my first mare AND my first miniature horse. She did not mind me touching, looking or taking pics of her udders. I have noticed a change in her temperment over the past few months but I figured it was due to all the time I have spent working with her. She is much easier to handle and is friendly (when i first got her all she did was try to bite and kick)

I have the vet coming out next week to do coggins and shots etc so she will be looked at and examined then. But I am worried that she may be showing signs of baggng up and could be far along?! Need some other opinions, please help!

horsecrazy84 04-17-2012 08:53 AM

To me it doesn't look like she's bagging up at all and if she was far along into the pregnancy where she was bagging up her belly would be a lot bigger, so I don't think she's pregnant.

MyLittlePonies 04-17-2012 09:00 AM

I think you should just get examed just to be sure. It could just be hormones. Even mare maiden mare(ultrasound for pregnancy next week so may not be maiden) has swollen udders so it could be hormones. Just get her checked anways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseyLolly 04-17-2012 11:06 AM

Thankyou for your opinions! Do you think she is just super overweight? I know Minis can get rather plump very easily! She has been less active over the past month so maybe she just added a few pounds. She does not run around and play like she used to :?

The vet is coming next week and I am just going to keep an extra close eye on her until then I suppose. I will post more pics if I see any change in her :-)

farmpony84 04-17-2012 11:58 AM

Has she been de-wormed lately? Since the vet is coming soon I would definitely chat with her/him about it. Mini's don't need much to eat and yes, they can plump up really fast and you need to be careful about that for health reasons.

Also, anytime a young horse conceives, that becomes a high risk pregnancy so you definitely will want to figure this one out sooner than later. The other concern is that a mini is ALWAYS to be considered high risk pregnancy. You have to watch them carefully.

Good luck.

Speed Racer 04-17-2012 12:00 PM

She just looks fat to me. There's no bagging up at all of her teats. But yes, if you're concerned have the vet test and make sure.

themacpack 04-17-2012 12:04 PM

Nothing in those photos looks like a bred mare (especially at the point of pregnancy which she would be at) to me. Time for a vet visit so that you can address either pregnancy or a better nutritional/management plan and maintain her health.

CLaPorte432 04-17-2012 12:10 PM

She doesn't look bred to me. Just fat.