The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   what discipline? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-discipline-120330/)

tierneylove09 04-17-2012 10:24 PM

what discipline?

I've had my horse for 5 years. we've always done the western pleasure and hunter under saddle thing...but never truly excelled at it. I want to find our thing! how do you determine what your horse is best at?

Skyseternalangel 04-17-2012 10:45 PM

Hmm, try a little of everything. Go to a little cattle sort and see how your horse takes to cows, set up little jumps and jump over them. The best way though is to ask your trainer what your horse is built to do.. and see if they like that.

It's more about enjoying it more than anything. My horse and I are doing "Dressage" but I plan on playing in the Western world with him. Maybe your horse would like to try some endurance. Won't know until you give it a go.

tierneylove09 04-17-2012 10:47 PM

Tried to jump and he had no part of that LOL ran right trough it like it wasnt there. I thought about reigning just because I think it looks fun, but like you said, I wont know if he will do well unless I try it

Skyseternalangel 04-17-2012 10:51 PM

Yeah just take him to all sorts of clinics and just have fun learning or improving with him! You'll find your spot :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tierneylove09 (Post 1459217)
Tried to jump and he had no part of that LOL ran right trough it like it wasnt there. I thought about reigning just because I think it looks fun, but like you said, I wont know if he will do well unless I try it

SorrelHorse 04-17-2012 10:53 PM

Reining is a blast. Teaches a horse so many good things. You don't always have to be a top dollar horse and rider team to go have fun either.

pinkjumperboots 04-18-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tierneylove09 (Post 1459127)
I've had my horse for 5 years. we've always done the western pleasure and hunter under saddle thing...but never truly excelled at it. I want to find our thing! how do you determine what your horse is best at?

Well when i got my pony she was being used as a pleasure pony, and she had a very sore hind end. But as a rider i wanted a jumper pony, so for me i fixed p her hind end and then tried jumping. I had to train her to jump but now she loves it, i knew what i wanted and i really wanted to be a jumper so i had to go for what i wanted. And what do you know, se turned out to be an amazig jumper, winning tons of first place ribbons.

But try many different disciplines and see what the connection is between you and your horse in each discipline you try.