The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   How many instructors? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/how-many-instructors-120367/)

smilin1590 04-18-2012 09:25 AM

How many instructors?

I was wondering how many instructors you all use for lessons/training for 3 day event competitions. Do you use one for dressage and one for the other stadium and x-country, or do you use the same instructor for all three?
Right now I use a dressage trainer and an eventing coach as well. I will use my event coach at the competitions but I will still use both instructors when I am working back home.

equiniphile 04-18-2012 05:21 PM

One, but I also go to clinics by both dressage and event trainers. There's also a dressage trainer I go to on occasion, but my primary trainer is my eventing coach.

gypsygirl 04-19-2012 09:30 AM

i ride with an eventing trainer and a H/J trainer pretty equally. the eventer helps me on my dressage and xc, and the H/J helps me with my stadium.

hunter trainers are your best friend for stadium. imo a lot of eventers dont focus enough on stadium and have VERY scary rounds. [you wouldnt believe how many training level horses i see that dont have a lead change...]

bettyb 04-21-2012 09:44 PM

I've got 2

kitten_Val 04-22-2012 11:44 AM

I'm not an eventer, but I have 2 trainers: dressage for dressage and eventing for jumping. Both teach differently, and I think it's a great help.

Strange 04-29-2012 09:14 PM

I currently have one. In the future I'd probably consider finding a separate dressage coach as I have a young horse that moves up the levels.

MudPaint 04-29-2012 11:32 PM

I currently have a dressage trainer w/an eventing background and then attend clinics for my stadium and XC. I came from a hunter background and feel very secure in stadium, but the rest is a work in progress.

Gypsygirl- couldn't agree with you more! I think a little hunter finesse goes a long way in stadium. I have a hard time watching people go ahead of me... I spend a lot of time gasping in fear.

kindraeventing 06-10-2012 01:26 PM

I don't have access to a jumper trainer in my area that's any good. I ride with a dressage trainer once a week, and travel around looking for jumping clinics and such.