The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Is he getting enough milk? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/he-getting-enough-milk-120404/)

horsecrazy84 04-18-2012 03:13 PM

Is he getting enough milk?

Rebel is 2 days old now and he nurses pretty frequently but for only a few minutes at a time. It seems as soon as he nurses he is laying down for another nap. The only time he is up is when they move around. I don't think he's too thin but Chanti's bag isn't very big. I checked today to make sure she did have milk and she does but I expected her bag to be a little bigger after she had the foal instead of smaller.
She is on Lifestages Mare and Foal by Nutrena, on pasture 24/7 although it's already just about bare because of the dang weeds. We are going to buy a good quality round bale of bermuda to leave out and I am probably going to check around for something to add to her feed to help her out. Any recommendations on a good supplement I can give her to help with her weight? She's thin but not horribly thin.

Also, when he lays on his side to nap his breathing sounds like snoring. Chanti did this as a youngster and still does even when she's not napping but I wanted to see if that was normal or a sign of a respiratory problem.

oh vair oh 04-18-2012 03:49 PM

In her pictures she still looks thin and undernourished. A good quality round bale will help. Good hay is a miracle worker.

horsecrazy84 04-18-2012 03:57 PM

Yes I know she is thin. Going to get some hay this weekend if I can find any without fescue. If not, hay cubes it is.

trainerunlimited 04-18-2012 04:48 PM

I don't think you have to worry about fescue, now that the foal is on the ground. Fescue causes abortion in heavy bred mares, I don't think you have to worry about that now, lol. Foals do nurse frequently and he is keeping the bag down, which is a good thing. If her bag gets bigger and full when he is with her, something is wrong with him.

horsecrazy84 04-18-2012 06:33 PM

Fescue can also cause them to not produce milk. I've never seen anywhere that said it was fine to feed after she delivers so I want to avoid it as much as possible. He was feeling his oats this afternoon, galloping around the yard lol. I'm still going to add Weight Builder to her grain and Grow-Colt to his grain when he gets a couple months old and starts eating it.