The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Non-Gaited TWH??? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/non-gaited-twh-120406/)

TraceyAnn 04-18-2012 02:31 PM

Non-Gaited TWH???

I have been browsing the forum and reading some older post. I have seen 3 different comments where people mentioned their Tennessee Walker is non-gaited. I did not know there was such a thing. Confused :???:

Keep in mind that I am new to gaited horses and I just have always thought TWH were a gaited breed.

Jacksmama 04-18-2012 02:34 PM

Occasionally it happens, but I think it more likely that the horse was one that didn't hit the ground gaiting and the person that started it didn't know how to get the gait out of them.

Darrin 04-18-2012 02:41 PM

There are throwbacks that can't gait but that is fairly rare. More frequently you have ones that can gait but either have not been properly trained so don't gait or their owners don't know how to get them to gait. To me this is the difference between natural gaiters and not so natural gaiters. Natural gaiters don't need training to gait properly and neither do their owners.

TraceyAnn 04-18-2012 02:44 PM

Thanks, This makes sense.

Jolly Badger 04-21-2012 03:01 PM

I know a few people who own TWHs but never gait them - just dog-walk the whole time on trail.

Some of them have never owned gaited horses before, they don't know what the gaits are supposed to feel like, so any time they do more than a dog-walk and the horse is pacey, they just let the horse stay pacey.

They ride the horse so balled-up into the bit that the horse can't even head-nod, there is no freedom of movement in the shoulders, and they have the horse's hooves trimmed so upright (like a stock horse) that it just moves different.

After years of doing this, the horses just pace all the time. It's a shame. . .but they're what I'd consider a non-gaited TWH. They might as well just buy a non-gaited horse if that's how they want to ride.:-(