The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Understanding electrolytes?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FoxyRoxy1507 
#1 ·
If I understand correctly, electrolytes are given to a horse to aid in combating dehydration? So, if it is hot outside, and my horse is worked and sweats a lot, he would benefit from receiving electrolytes? Are there any brands that are better? What do I look for from a good electrolyte supplement?

#2 ·
yes, according to what i know, you are correct. i know at my barn we give all the horses electrolytes when it is very hot and humid, but if it is not TOO hot and humid we only give them to the horses that work very hard. i know some people who do them before and after every show and also people who give them every day (such as in a smartpak)
hope that helps

#4 ·
Thank you very much for the information. Horsey, that is what my barn manager does for her horses which got me wondering if I needed to. Ryle, the article was very informative! I certainly understand how electrolytes work now, but I am not sure if my horse receives enough exercise or if our heat and humidity makes it a good idea to supplement with electrolytes. We certainly aren't going 25+ miles ANY day (or any week for that matter), but it has been in the 90s with higher humidity lately, and he is sweating mildly when standing in his paddock. We will sometimes do lighter work than normal, light training in the arena for 15 minutes, then trail ride in the shade for an hour. And I gather from the article that his salt block can also help. Do you think a minimal dose of electrolytes would be a good idea for our weather and work, or should I just leave well enough alone?

#5 ·
At my barn even if our horses werent being worked we still gave them electrolytes bc it really helps them with the heat. He may not be sweating a lot but i bet your horse is still pretty hot and the electrolytes help with that. So yes in my opinion i would give a dose to your horse everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.