The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Help Fitting Western Saddle! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/help-fitting-western-saddle-120438/)

Skyseternalangel 04-18-2012 07:50 PM

Help Fitting Western Saddle!

9 Attachment(s)
Sorry if this is in the right place.. don't venture in here often!

Alright I have very little sense when it comes to anything Western. Long story short one of the ladies wants to ride in a western saddle and she has tried this saddle on my horse.

My own observations, with smrobs' help, is that it seems a little too narrow.

Now reading QHRider's thread yesterday about back cinches and rigging (thanks Cowchick!) it just seems all wrong. But it's the only western saddle at the barn and it doesn't seem too terrible a fit but definitely not something long term.

Here are the pictures: (she's gonna try to find another saddle to compare fit to.) First part is without pad, second is with, single pic is yesterday being lunged in it, and last is his back (which desperately needs build up to his topline still...!)

waresbear 04-18-2012 08:00 PM

Too me, the bars look too wide. The rest I can't tell from the pictures. Sorry, wish I could help you more.

Skyseternalangel 04-18-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1460856)
Too me, the bars look too wide. The rest I can't tell from the pictures. Sorry, wish I could help you more.

That's alright, you know better than I do haha!

Thanks

Island Horselover 04-18-2012 08:08 PM

To find out if the saddle fits your horse, put a white piece of bed sheet and put it under the saddle, tighten up the saddle and let your horse walk, trot and canter in it, both ways if possible (it is ok if nobody is riding). After that check out the pressure spots the saddle left on the sheet, if they are the same on both sides on all points the saddle puts pressure on than you have at least an idea how good the saddle fits..... hope that makes sense????

waresbear 04-18-2012 08:10 PM

^^^^That is an excellent idea! Guess the dirtiest, dustier the horse, the easier it is tell?

Skyseternalangel 04-18-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Horselover (Post 1460876)
To find out if the saddle fits your horse, put a white piece of bed sheet and put it under the saddle, tighten up the saddle and let your horse walk, trot and canter in it, both ways if possible (it is ok if nobody is riding). After that check out the pressure spots the saddle left on the sheet, if they are the same on both sides on all points the saddle puts pressure on than you have at least an idea how good the saddle fits..... hope that makes sense????

Wow.. that's a very exciting way to test saddle fit! Great for desensitizing too :D Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

Though I'm in Kiwiland and the lady and my horse are in the states.. so it makes things so much more complicated. Had I know well in advanced I would have had a saddle fitter meet them there..

Can you see anything that screams "omg get that off of the horse" ?

EDIT: Would a cooler work??? I have one of those really big ones that has a loop of the tail, loop for the ears. And with the pad too, or without?

Island Horselover 04-18-2012 08:17 PM

Oh I am happy that I can help :0) Have to agree with waresbear, think the bar is a little bit too wide but other than that it looks pretty good to me although I can not really tell from the pics. Oh and yes, as dirtier the horse is as better you will see the pressure spots (yeah I know never saddle up a dirty horse) but as there is no real weight other than the saddle on the horse it should be fine for a few minutes... Do not use the pad with it, and it is the best if it is really thin and white material (the sheet) - I am not sure what you have there but just give it a try should work :0) Let me know how it goes!!!!!! Cheers

Skyseternalangel 04-18-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Horselover (Post 1460900)
Oh I am happy that I can help :0) Have to agree with waresbear, think the bar is a little bit too wide but other than that it looks pretty good to me although I can not really tell from the pics. Oh and yes, as dirtier the horse is as better you will see the pressure spots (yeah I know never saddle up a dirty horse) but as there is no real weight other than the saddle on the horse it should be fine for a few minutes... Do not use the pad with it, and it is the best if it is really thin and white material (the sheet) - I am not sure what you have there but just give it a try should work :0) Let me know how it goes!!!!!! Cheers

Okay I passed the info along to her.. I think she's going to find it absolutely hilarious or think that I'm crazy!

Island Horselover 04-18-2012 08:30 PM

I know, people think I am crazy when I tell them but it works and that is the most important!!!! Sometimes it is just that easy... LOL

Skyseternalangel 04-18-2012 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pics