The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Got a trailer... now I have questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/got-trailer-now-i-have-questions-12045/)

Sliding4ever 07-22-2008 10:49 PM

Got a trailer... now I have questions

Well I actually got my first horse trailer this evening! I've had horses for 4 years now and finally got one :D ! Its definatelly a fixer upper but my dad can do most of it if not all of it himself, hopefully I can help with somethin but will see.

Anyways onto the question. Its a 2 horse straight load. The back of doesn't have a bar. Theres just a chain. I really want to replace it with a bar because its sturdier. Does anyone know where I can buy the bar made for horses?? I found this http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27661&& but I can't tell if its just a "pretty cover" or the actual bar and a cover. Any ideas????

Thanks

mlkarel2010 07-22-2008 10:52 PM

I think it's just the cover

Sliding4ever 07-22-2008 11:26 PM

Yeah thats what I thought after I already made the post. Its too cheap to be a bar also.

Also, what color do you all think it should be repainted when the time comes? Our truck is green. I was thinkin green on top and tan/cream/white on bottom and my dad said vice versa. Or we could just do all green. Any thoughts??

mlkarel2010 07-22-2008 11:32 PM

Is it a dark green? If it's a dark green then I vote for your idea!

Harley Heaven 07-23-2008 01:35 AM

The ones in your link are just covers.
With some pipe,some chain, a torch, a little grinding and a bit of welding and you can make your own bar.

If your dad does not have the tools, look in the yellow pages for local welding / fabrication shops.

My2Geldings 07-23-2008 02:11 AM

It's only a cover. Thats what m trailer bum and chest bars covered with. It's great for them and easy to clean. I would strongly encourage getting those for your trailer if you end up getting bars put in.
I don't think that you will be able to buy the bars. The trailers come with so if you would like to replace them, getting your dad to make some might be your best bet. I would also maybe try a old auto wreckers and see what you might be able to salvage to get him to make one. All it is, is metal piping finished on each end to fit the horse trailers.
I was going to post pictures of the bars off of mine but can find them at the moment. Will post them later if I do.

DashAwayAll 07-23-2008 06:49 AM

It's onl;y the cover. When it cover to Dover, divide the price in half and then think what you would get for that amount. :(

Syble413 07-23-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sliding4ever
Yeah thats what I thought after I already made the post. Its too cheap to be a bar also.

Also, what color do you all think it should be repainted when the time comes? Our truck is green. I was thinkin green on top and tan/cream/white on bottom and my dad said vice versa. Or we could just do all green. Any thoughts??

We painted our first trailer to match my truck. It was forest green with sand colored trim. It looked really nice with my truck but when we put it up for sale, the 'custom color' was a drawback for some potential buyers. Sooo, if you're not planning on selling it later then I'd go for it. We did sell iours but found that we could've sold it alot sooner if it had been a neutral color that would match almost any truck.

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-23-2008 11:20 AM

I personally would paint it white or tan to match the truck. The thing about horse trailers is that they tend to get beat up sometimes and I would rather be able to touch up the paint than to have to repaint the whole thing.

If your truck is all green...I would go with a nice darkish tan. Neutral for re-sale and easy to touch up! You could always do some green pin-stripping if you get it done and feel it is too plain. I also like decals that are color matched...Maybe a green decal or 2! :D

Sliding4ever 07-23-2008 12:24 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!! I found a site on the net that sold the but chains with padding but they didn't have the bars, but I e-mailed them incase I looked over it.

Thats a good point about the "custom color". Our truck is a darkish green, I would say. My dad did mention selling the trailer after I save up some more money and get a 2 horse slant or even 3 horse though we don't need one that big, but who knows.

What if we paint it a greyish color? My dad already said he doesn't really wont it a "bright" color cause if it starts to rust it will show up really well. I do plan on buyin the trailer one of those cover things made for horse trailers to help protect it.