The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   A rope Halter or regular halter? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rope-halter-regular-halter-120468/)

SkylerMarie 04-18-2012 10:03 PM

A rope Halter or regular halter?

Hey I was wondering if it matters about what kined of halter is best for every day? A rope? Or a regular one like nylon?

Thnks!:D

DrumRunner 04-18-2012 10:06 PM

It's really just personal preference.. I personally like to use rope halters at home. That said..mine are spoiled and have about 3 halters each..A rope, nylon, and a bronc halter for shows..

OkieGal 04-18-2012 10:10 PM

Oh goodness. I love broncs.

That said, I prefer a rope halter. For me, using the rope halter, I feel like a horse responds and listens better than with a nylon.
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 04-18-2012 10:11 PM

Either can be used for everyday activities. We use a nylon or leather when just leading them around. Rope halters are used for training and long trail rides.
Posted via Mobile Device

SkylerMarie 04-18-2012 10:12 PM

Haha. Yeah mine has like 5 rope halters. I was just wondering if there was a difrence.
Thnks!!

smrobs 04-18-2012 10:37 PM

It all depends on your preference and goals. I only ever use rope halters for everything. I do have a few nylons hanging around that haven't seen a horse in years.

sckamper 04-19-2012 09:35 PM

I tend to use rope halters for training purposes only. Other than that, I usually use nylon or leather halters.

waresbear 04-19-2012 09:44 PM

I like a halter with a buckle because it's quicker & easier to do up, basically only reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 04-19-2012 10:37 PM

I don't like that the knots are always pressing into the nerves in the horse's face, even without pressure on the halter. I certainly won't ride with one. My concern is permanently damaging the nerves. I've used rope halters and never ever yank when on a horse's head. I like to switch to a flat halter as soon as the horse is listening fairly well.

sommsama09 04-19-2012 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I use rope halters for everything - I used to only use Nylon, but like other have said i feel if there is a way a halter can feel 'more natural' and like you have more control i feel this is why i preffer rope halters to nylon halters.

Saddlebag, not to get on your nerves, but i agree with what you said, about nerves (if used by the wrong person), however NOT all rope halters have that style - the style you talk about is mainly a training halter, and i do not own one of these.

The blue is an example of the Rope Halters i use and own.

The black is an example of what you were talking about.

There are other styles, not all knotted. :wink: