The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Gaited or Not (Standardbreds) (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-not-standardbreds-120558/)

Lexiie 04-19-2012 07:58 PM

Gaited or Not (Standardbreds)

So at my barn today, a question came up on whether all Standardbreds are gaited.
I said no, only the once that pace naturally are gaited, and the trotters aren't.
I mean, isn't the trot just a normal gait?
The BO and her daughter said "They're all gaited because the pull the carriages and hop forward"
I think that only pacers are gaited.
Since I honestly don't know all that much about gaited horses, are all Standarbreds gaited?

Cowgirls Boots 04-19-2012 08:11 PM

To my understanding some are born gaited and some aren't. And for the ones who aren't born naturally gaited can be taught to gait.

I may be so off though..
Posted via Mobile Device

Lexiie 04-19-2012 08:24 PM

EXACTLY!!!
A trotter doesn't rack, the trot. A pacer doesn't trot at all >.<

Isn't a gaited horse a horse that has a special gait?

WesternRider 04-19-2012 08:41 PM

I have a standardbred off the track now he was a pacer and has learned to trot as well. i think pacers are gaited

Lexiie 04-19-2012 09:17 PM

Pacers for sure are gaited, but trotters. I don't think they're gaited.

arrowsaway 04-19-2012 10:16 PM

A gaited horse is a horse that does a specific movement in addition to a walk, canter, gallop and sometimes in replace of the trot. Horses that have unique ways of going are as follows:

TWH: running walk. they can also occasionally rack and pace.
Missouri Fox Trotter: foxtrot.
5-gaited Saddlebreds: slow-gait and the rack.
Appaloosas: Rarely, but some perform what is known as the indian shuffle.

Note that single-footing and pacing are also gaits which take the place of the trot.

A horse that strictly trots is not "gaited" by this definition.

Rachel1786 04-19-2012 10:37 PM

no not all standardbreds are naturally gaited, I wish I was there for that. I don't remember exactly how they train them to gait,but Debbra did tell me a while ago because Torro isn't naturally gaited but he was trained to gait. I think training them to gait evolved using some type of hobble like things(have no idea what they are called for sure) so that they physically cannot trot.

Lexiie 04-20-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1462691)
no not all standardbreds are naturally gaited, I wish I was there for that. I don't remember exactly how they train them to gait,but Debbra did tell me a while ago because Torro isn't naturally gaited but he was trained to gait. I think training them to gait evolved using some type of hobble like things(have no idea what they are called for sure) so that they physically cannot trot.

They hobble them during races.
Posted via Mobile Device

SueNH 04-21-2012 07:09 AM

The harness part that keeps a racing pacer in pace are called hopples. With a double p, not a misspell.

There are trotting bred lines of STBs and pacing lines of STBs. They will not make a horse with no pacing breeding pace. They will keep a horse that does have the natural ability to pace in pace. There are free legged pacers that race.

There are many that will both trot and pace at liberty. I had a riding mare that was a free legged pacer. I rarely saw her trot but she could. Under saddle I had to really work at it to get a trot. She would just rather pace. Then I realized that I could get other natural gears out of her and we found the running walk and rack. Never bothered trying to make her trot again. We both were happier.