The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rodeo (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/)
-   -   How can I get my horse involved in carrying the flag? (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/how-can-i-get-my-horse-120602/)

Blondehorselover 04-20-2012 09:41 AM

How can I get my horse involved in carrying the flag?

At rodeos and/or other equestrian events. I've always wanted to carry the American Flag at an event. How would I go about getting involved in something to be able to do that? I'm out of high school and I think I'm too old (23) to be in 4H.

COWCHICK77 04-20-2012 09:51 AM

That depends on the rodeo. Some rodeos, the stock contractors plan the Grand Entry, or the committee for that paticular rodeo and or the association that it is sanctioned under.

Cacowgirl 04-20-2012 05:58 PM

You would need to find some kind of drill team?

horselover21 04-21-2012 11:50 PM

At my rodeo, if you ask to carry one of the flags they will let you. But not really sure about the other rodeos.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 04-22-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondehorselover (Post 1463108)
At rodeos and/or other equestrian events. I've always wanted to carry the American Flag at an event. How would I go about getting involved in something to be able to do that? I'm out of high school and I think I'm too old (23) to be in 4H.

Each rodeo will vary.

If there is a rodeo queen present (or several), the highest ranked queen will always carry the American Flag in for the national athem. Or if the rodeo has its own rodey royalty, its queen will carry the flag.

If no queens are at the rodeo, often a rodeo comittee member will carry the American Flag. Therefore, I would suggest that you become an active member of your nearest rodeo club. (Don't just join to carry the flag, join to help out.)

Equestrian events are usually the same in that a comittee member of the club that is putting on the show, will usually carry the flag. So again, get involved in the comittee!

Take home message --> In order to earn the priviledge such as carrying the American flag, you've go to get involved and give something back to the rodeo or event.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...urgrodeo05.jpg

beau159 04-22-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1463788)
You would need to find some kind of drill team?

From my experiences, drill teams provide entertainment during an intermission or something similar.

They don't typically present the American flag for the national anthem, simply because the American flag (out of respect) should never be carried faster than a slow collected gallop. Most will walk or trot when carrying the American flag. And only ONE flag is present for the national anthem, not each drill team member holding a flag and doing a pattern while its sung.

But I suppose it's possible to have happened somewhere else. I've just never seen that.

2muchcoffeeman 06-01-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 1465702)
Each rodeo will vary.

If there is a rodeo queen present (or several), the highest ranked queen will always carry the American Flag in for the national athem. Or if the rodeo has its own rodey royalty, its queen will carry the flag.

If no queens are at the rodeo, often a rodeo comittee member will carry the American Flag. Therefore, I would suggest that you become an active member of your nearest rodeo club. (Don't just join to carry the flag, join to help out.)

Exception: If the Horse Cavalry Detachment of the U.S. Army's 1st Cavalry is part of the show that day, there's a good chance that mounted soldiers from the First Team will carry the flag.

BarrelCowgirl 06-05-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 1465706)
From my experiences, drill teams provide entertainment during an intermission or something similar.

They don't typically present the American flag for the national anthem, simply because the American flag (out of respect) should never be carried faster than a slow collected gallop. Most will walk or trot when carrying the American flag. And only ONE flag is present for the national anthem, not each drill team member holding a flag and doing a pattern while its sung.

But I suppose it's possible to have happened somewhere else. I've just never seen that.

Beau is right. Drill teams are there to put on their own show, during intermission or after the American flag and national Anthem has been presented and sung. I've seen both done, just depends on the rodeo.

I have seen times where a drill team member was given the privilege to carry the flag. It was usually the leader of the group, and the others had to stay outside the arena.

Like Beau said, I would join a rodeo and volunteer and help out. That's propably your best bet to carry the flag if they don't have a queen to carry.

Corporal 06-05-2012 12:20 PM

SHOULD you have the opportunity to do so in this venue or another, I suggest that you buy a stirrup with the attachment for the flag. Although DH and I have retired from CW Reenactment, we own one of these and it makes it very easy to push your right foot foreward and brace your arm against the flag's wooden pole, bc as you speed up the flag and pole falls backwards and can easily slip off of any other stirrup. I would often carry the Battalion colors. Here is a picture from 1987, with me aboard our QH, "Dandy Silver Moon." AND, yes, I did carry the colors, than day, with the 1860 US Flag.
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t...andToma001.jpg

ropinbiker 08-07-2012 12:35 PM

The drill team my daughter is on does usually carry the US flag during opening ceremonies...the other members carry either a TX or US flag -- or a smaller size, therefore the US flag is the largest in attendance as it should be.

Also, at a lot of the rodeos here(including the San Angelo rodeo-one of the 10 largest in the US every year) the flag is carried at at least a medium and usually a fast lope/gallop/run -- this is truly an amazing site! The colors streaming up above and behind a running horse!

I am a retired Army guy and am not offended by the flag being carried at the faster pace. I don't know the rules for how the US flag should be carried during ceremonies(I was never stationed anywhere we had a mounted unit)...but it looks mucho better at a fast lope than it does at a slow lope. The only rules we ever had to follow during any of our ceremonies was that the US flag had to be the largest and tallest flag there.