The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   our horses are losing their hair like crazy, its more than a normal shedding??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/our-horses-losing-their-hair-like-120668/)

Southernbelle 04-20-2012 07:23 PM

our horses are losing their hair like crazy, its more than a normal shedding???

1 Attachment(s)
My horse is losing hair like crazy, her coat is super short where shes lost her hair, and the hair is just coming out in chunks, but i she doesn't have any irritated looking spots, scabs, or lesions... It looks gross but I am not sure what it is, or how I could treat it, if someone has any help or insight that would be great!
Thank you so much

Southernbelle 04-20-2012 07:25 PM

this is an after she lost chunks of her hair Attachment 95328

Southernbelle 04-20-2012 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more spots on her Attachment 95329

tlkng1 04-20-2012 07:35 PM

My horse did the same thing only he started back in January...by the middle of February he was completely shed out and I was worried about the same thing. I could literally pull his hair out in clumps. The mild winter this year I think confused the horses even if their caot cycle is based on hours of light. Some still have a winter coat, others are shedding just like yours and others still were shed out by the beginning of March.

If the horse is healthy and the coat underneath is growing in properly and there isn't any evidence of external parasites or skin issues I wouldn't worry about it. This is the normal time of year when the shedding starts so her timing isn't off. If you want to hurry the process along, use a curry comb and give her some help. She may actually feel better as the hair coming out is usually causing them to itch pretty badly.

Southernbelle 04-20-2012 07:45 PM

Thanks all of ours are doing it and I've been brushing it of like no big deal then today shes starting to look like shes going bald... lol her coat is just so short underneath, I was just wanting to be safe than sorry, Thank you so much!

tlkng1 04-20-2012 07:57 PM

Looking at the second pic that is what Paddy's coat was doing as well. He is a dark bay but the areas that were, uhm, declumping, were a very light tan until the rest of the coat grew in. It doesn't take long before you see those light areas start to darken up with the new coat as you indicated hair is there, just very short.

Southernbelle 04-20-2012 08:01 PM

Thank you again!

CLaPorte432 04-20-2012 08:17 PM

Yep, looks like some of my horses. And the horses down the road. People from all over the US and Canada have been having these darn shedding issues.

Jessika 04-20-2012 08:26 PM

Our yearling looks the same, it's the mild winter.

RyeDING4me 04-21-2012 01:30 AM

Yeah I think that is whats up with mine too. I posted earlier this week about hair falling out and a bald spot, but when I looked closer there was hair there it was just very short and his skin is dark so I couldn't really see it- he's a bay btw. Now only q few days later the gray looking dead hair has come out and the hair underneath has grown to where it doesn't look nearly as bad. He's my 1st horse and it made me panick.
Posted via Mobile Device