The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Abscess or ??? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/abscess-120749/)

Allison C 04-21-2012 11:40 AM

Abscess or ???

3 Attachment(s)
Thursday evening I went out to see Oscar and after starting to lunge at the trot, i noticed he was a little off. I stopped to see if he had a rock wedged some where (because its rocky where he's at) and I noticed that there was a little slice out of his right front heel. It was not oozing, but had a little bit of coagulated blood on it. After walking the fence line a fixing anything that might have caused it, i found a very small spot of dried blood on the ground where he normally hangs out.

I threw some blue kote on it and went home. After thinking on it, I am not sure it's an injury.

Is it possible to blow an abscess without noticing lameness first?? It was pretty wet here from Friday-Tuesday so he didn't get worked almost at all until Thursday when I noticed. I pushed on it a little bit to see if anything would come out, but it appears clean.

Here are pics from last night.

Allison C 04-21-2012 11:41 AM

Note - the "flap" looks worse now than it did on Thursday. It truly looked like a cut at the time...

xxdanioo 04-21-2012 11:42 AM

He may have hit himself with his back foot. It looks like that to me, anyways.

Allison C 04-21-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxdanioo (Post 1464865)
He may have hit himself with his back foot. It looks like that to me, anyways.

I wondered about that too...

PaintHorseMares 04-21-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison C (Post 1464861)
Is it possible to blow an abscess without noticing lameness first??.

Abscesses are very painful...you would have noticed lameness. I would guess an injury of some type.