The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   the right amount of food (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/right-amount-food-120752/)

arando 04-21-2012 01:39 PM

the right amount of food

hi

ok not sure where to post this thread - sorry

just wondering zoe is about 9 years old pinto mare and i really dont get alot of time to ride her mostly for about 2 hours over weekends , during the week she is in the pasture.

my question is: i feed her about 1kg complete balanced dieet 2 times a day and she is grazing 24/7 - what is the correct amount of supliment for a horse not really working?

themacpack 04-21-2012 02:50 PM

How is her weight on the current feeding program? What is the make-up of the forage she is grazing on?
Many horses need no supplemental feeding at all as they maintain their weight on forage/grazing alone. There is no one answer as you have to evaluate each individual horse and their dietary needs.

arando 04-22-2012 01:33 PM

she is about 450 kg - the feed is spurwing grain free maintanance feed

Grain Free Range

An ideal range of concentrate choice for horses diagnosed with Laminitis, Colic, Azoturia, Cushings Disease, Developmental Orthopaedic Disorder (DOD), Insulin Resistance (IR) and behavioural problems.
Maintenance Meal | Hi-5 | Show Horse | Tranquilo | Senior
Maintenance Meal (11%)

Grain-Free
(Class: Concentrated horse feed for fully grown horses)
(Klas: Gekonsentreerde perdvoedsel vir volwasse perde)

The basic ‘Grain Free' ration rich in full fat soya and yeast ideal for maintaining horses and ponies in good condition. This being the lowest energy and protein ration, it is recommended for horses resting or in light work.

Composition/SamestellingProtein (min)
110 g/kg
Prote´en (min)
Fat (min)
25 g/kg
Vet (min)
Fibre (max)
120 g/kg
Vesel (maks)
Moisture (max)
120 g/kg
Vog (maks)
Phosphorus (min)
3 g/kg
Fosfor (min)
Calcium: Phosphorus
1.2 - 2.0:1
Kalcium: Fosfor
http://www.spurwinghorsefeed.co.za/i...nance_Meal.jpg

Mass/Massa 40kg
REG NO/NR V14613 ACT/WET 36/1947

Feeding Recommendations

Provide good quality roughages ad libitum. Feed 2 to 4 kg/day according to condition.

everybody in the area says that the grazing is not nutritious at all - she is acting funny the last 2 weeks nearly hiperactive, i was thinking maybe she gets to much feed

kitten_Val 04-22-2012 01:46 PM

Arando, I moved your thread from "Horse Talk" to "Nutrition" as you may get more answers there.

Grazing may or may not be nutritious depending on grass. :wink: On nice rich pasture surely they have enough not just keep, but in fact gain weight, sometime a lot (so you have to be careful). On other hand you may have a dry pasture, and in this case you may want to supplement with the hay.

Both my horses are off-work for the moment. They get 1 lbs of pellets twice/day (about equal to your 1 kg), hay, and I let them out to the pasture for couple hours (unless we have a rain like today). I know many barns keep horses on pastures during the summer (no hay, or just to supplement if they are partially stabled), and they do just great.

How does your horse look? Overweight, skinny, or normal? Could you post some pics may be?

forest 04-23-2012 03:53 AM

Supplement

Quote:

Originally Posted by arando (Post 1464919)
hi

ok not sure where to post this thread - sorry

just wondering zoe is about 9 years old pinto mare and i really dont get alot of time to ride her mostly for about 2 hours over weekends , during the week she is in the pasture.

my question is: i feed her about 1kg complete balanced dieet 2 times a day and she is grazing 24/7 - what is the correct amount of supliment for a horse not really working?

Hello there. If the horse is grazing and there is enough pasture, there is no need of 1kg balance diet in my opinion. I would recommend only some supplements with Vitamins, and microminerals (Zinc, Cobalt, Copper, Vitamin A, D, E) and she would definitelly need some salt for Chlorine/Sodium balance. There are some helpful nutrient calculators which should help a lot (just a quick google look, I found horsemath.com).

arando 04-25-2012 01:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone

here is the pics - sorry dont know why they are a bit fuzzy.