The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Best saddle for 16h. TWH/SSH? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/best-saddle-16h-twh-ssh-120767/)

rsusannah 04-21-2012 03:03 PM

Best saddle for 16h. TWH/SSH?

I have a 16 hd. high-withered stocky spotted horse who gaits beautifully on his own in the pasture but often paces when we ride. I've been using a medium tree Gen II Tucker Cheyenne Springs saddle that I'd bought for a smaller horse that I've now sold. I think I've finally figured out the saddle is too small for Pilot and is probably pinching him. Any recommendations for a new saddle. I was thinking of Dixieland but read one really awful review.

Macslady 04-21-2012 06:24 PM

Crest Ridge Saddlery Home The lady there is a master saddle fitter and will help you figure out the best saddle to fit your horse. Right now she is on the road at several horse fairs, but I do know that her assistant is still at the shop.

People also have good respect for the Allegheny Mountain Trail Saddles. Others on here I am sure will chime in too.

gunslinger 04-21-2012 06:41 PM

For what it's worth, I ride an older (1995) Tennessean by National Bridle Company. National Bridle is in Lewisburg TN, smack in the heart of Walking horse country, and just down the street from the TWHbea.

Tennessean Saddles

Mine was built by Crate in Chattanooga. Crates Leather | Hand-Crafted Saddlery | Chattanooga, TN | Saddles: Gaited

I bought mine used in excellent condition, and I see one for sale on craigslist every once in awhile.

While I also read the review on the Dixieland, the one I've seen has was beautifully built and the girl riding it really liked it.

My choice can down to a new Dixieland or the used Tennessean.

kstinson 04-24-2012 09:55 AM

My best advice is to put on something that leaves room for the shoulders to move. If his shoulders are hindered you're not going to get gait. Imus saddles are great, Tucker endurance are good too.

rsusannah 04-24-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macslady (Post 1465231)
Crest Ridge Saddlery Home The lady there is a master saddle fitter and will help you figure out the best saddle to fit your horse. Right now she is on the road at several horse fairs, but I do know that her assistant is still at the shop.

People also have good respect for the Allegheny Mountain Trail Saddles. Others on here I am sure will chime in too.

Posted via Mobile Device

rsusannah 04-24-2012 11:29 PM

Thanks for the help. We're thinking of driving over with our horses to see the Dixieland saddles since we live just about an hour away. We've also looked at Steele's saddles online but thy're pretty expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

rsusannah 04-24-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsusannah (Post 1470702)
Thanks for the help. We're thinking of driving over with our horses to see the Dixieland saddles since we live just about an hour away. We've also looked at Steele's saddles online but thy're pretty expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

rsusannah 04-24-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunslinger (Post 1465253)
For what it's worth, I ride an older (1995) Tennessean by National Bridle Company. National Bridle is in Lewisburg TN, smack in the heart of Walking horse country, and just down the street from the TWHbea.

Tennessean Saddles

Mine was built by Crate in Chattanooga. Crates Leather | Hand-Crafted Saddlery | Chattanooga, TN | Saddles: Gaited

I bought mine used in excellent condition, and I see one for sale on craigslist every once in awhile.

While I also read the review on the Dixieland, the one I've seen has was beautifully built and the girl riding it really liked it.

My choice can down to a new Dixieland or the used Tennessean.

Posted via Mobile Device

rsusannah 04-24-2012 11:37 PM

I've ridden on a Tennessean and liked it. My husband just wants to be sure we get saddles with a good fit. We don't want to make the same mistake we did with the Tucker's. I did take lessons for a couple of years but we've only had our own horses for a year so we're still learning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 04-25-2012 08:29 AM

I have heard over and over how well liked the Dixieland saddles are and dozens of online great reviews. And seen two totally horrendous reviews. Not sure what gives. I travelin trail riding walking horse circles I have never met anyone that didnt love a dixieland. They also sell immediately for about 75%-80% of new price the few times you see them for sale used. My next saddle for my new mare TWH will be a Dixieland lite rider.