The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   to far from saddelry to get saddle fitted (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/far-saddelry-get-saddle-fitted-120830/)

streaky 04-22-2012 01:13 AM

to far from saddelry to get saddle fitted

hi all i need to buy a saddle for my new horse i have no saddles to compare on him. i have watched how to correctly fit a saddle but im 60km away from a saddlery and saddle fitter so how do i get measurements myself so i dont have to take my horse so far just for a saddle fit?

Skyseternalangel 04-22-2012 04:54 AM

Either get a saddle fitter with saddles in stock over to you (pay them to come evaluate)

OR

Have a saddle fitter take a tracing and find saddles that may fit

OR

Find a store that does demo saddles and get a tracing of your horse's withers/back and try and see if any of their saddles fit.

I would save up and pay for someone to come out and do it.

Joe4d 04-22-2012 06:07 AM

all things are relative, I haul my horse farther than that every weekend, saddles are so expensive, fit is so important and you and your horse will be spending lots and lots of time in it. Think about it, all the money all the work, all the food, shots, vet, farrier, all comes down to you getting on a horse Which you need a good saddle and fit. I'd find a way to get to the fitter and store, but only after I have narrowed my choices down by trying friends saddles for fit so have a close idea of what I want. Going to a store with your horse I think the dealer may be more concerned about the sale than the fit.

iridehorses 04-22-2012 06:44 AM

Welcome to the forum!

It's always better to take your horse with you, but if you can't, then I use this method: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...dle-fit-45868/

streaky 04-22-2012 07:33 AM

thanks guys thats very helpfull especially the one to measure with wire :)

kitten_Val 04-22-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streaky (Post 1465743)
hi all i need to buy a saddle for my new horse i have no saddles to compare on him. i have watched how to correctly fit a saddle but im 60km away from a saddlery and saddle fitter so how do i get measurements myself so i dont have to take my horse so far just for a saddle fit?

Streaky, here is how you do the measurements: Instructional Video: How To Do A Back/Wither Tracing (just read the whole "Saddle Fitting" section). Then you can contact them directly (this place is really nice to deal with, and they often have good deals).

P.S. The only problem from what I can guess you are not in US, so I'm not sure if US stores work with other countries. I'd suggest to look for something similar in your own country.

streaky 04-22-2012 09:54 PM

thankyou so much kitten_val that video is perfect i have spoken to the saddlery on the phone about it and they said thats allmost all the info they need i just have to get a measurement of the ligaments in the back. and also if i get the saddle home and it doesnt fit correctly i can take it back and get it changed :) you really have saved me so much time and saved my horse from standing in a float for 3 hours :)

kitten_Val 04-23-2012 07:35 AM

Lol! I'm glad I could help. :)

Saddlebag 04-23-2012 12:21 PM

Streaky, when the store says it will take the saddle back, it must be returned in pristine condition. Use a bed sheet thrown over your pad, folded in half lengthwise so you get absolutely no dirt on the fenders from rubbing the horse's sides. Wrap the stirrups well in plastic wrap. Make sure you are wearing nothing that can scratch the saddle. You might even want to put a large bath towel over the horn, seat and cantle. Even take a quilt for when you put this saddle in your vehicle.

streaky 04-23-2012 10:54 PM

thanx saddlebag