The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Sore back? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/sore-back-120839/)

WesternBella 04-22-2012 02:42 AM

Sore back?

Does anyone else get a sore back when riding?

I get sore in my lower back, usually on the right side. It really hurts while I'm riding, but not at all after unless I'm pushing on it. I kinda feels like a pulled muscle.

Does anyone have an idea on how I could prevent it/why it's happening? I heard that its from holding yourself up with your back instead of your core..is that correct? How can I fix that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 04-22-2012 06:38 AM

Maybe your hips aren't loose enough, so it's just putting strain there. Have you talked with your doctor/instructor/parents/other riders about it?

VanillaBean 04-23-2012 01:33 PM

Since I got bucked off a few weeks ago, I have has pain in my left (side I landed on) hip and down my leg. It only hurts when I am trotting, though. It's like a soreness and nerve pain have united. It kills!

anyway...relax into your seat more. It sounds like you are tense for that kind of pain...

MuGGzy 05-15-2012 01:06 PM

I see many people tend to slump forward and take the "bounce" of the ride on their lower back, this may be what's going on.

Next time you ride try to be conscious of your body position while you are riding and try this trick.

Put both arms straight out to your sides and a little back, like you were trying to put your arms into the sleeves of a coat. Then point your thumbs up like you were hitchhiking. This puts your entire spine in a natural neutral position as long as you don't crane your chin forward. From there just relax your arms back to where they belong but try to keep your back generally where it sat when you had the thumbs up. You don't have to stay all rigid or anything, it's just an easy frame of reference to help you notice the difference between total upright neutral and whatever you normally do. Also stretching your back before and after riding helps. I like those rubber exercise balls and just roll around on one while watching TV before leaving and when I get home.

Arksly 05-15-2012 01:16 PM

Not meaning to hyjack the thread but when I ride I find that the back of my ribs hurt. Even when I just post. Any idea why?

Skyseternalangel 05-15-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arksly (Post 1501098)
Not meaning to hyjack the thread but when I ride I find that the back of my ribs hurt. Even when I just post. Any idea why?

The back of your ribs meaning on the front, inside or on the back where there aren't actually ribs..?

I would say some sort of bruising or muscle tear. Have you had it checked out?

Also could be a form of "stitch" when your muscle cramps due to lactic acid buildup.

Always get pain checked out by a doc.. never know how serious it can be.

Spirit Lifter 05-15-2012 03:03 PM

My back will hurt when sitting with poor posture. Once it gets to hurting, nothing will relieve it for days!

MangoRoX87 05-16-2012 10:07 AM

When I get nervous on a ride (normally at a lope), I keep my spine in the same place but lock up all the muscles in my back and can't get it to stop until my horse has stopped.

Arksly 05-16-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1501171)
The back of your ribs meaning on the front, inside or on the back where there aren't actually ribs..?

I would say some sort of bruising or muscle tear. Have you had it checked out?

Also could be a form of "stitch" when your muscle cramps due to lactic acid buildup.

Always get pain checked out by a doc.. never know how serious it can be.

It's where there aren't actually ribs. I don't know human anatomy very well so please excuse my mistake (now, if it was horse anatomy that'd be a different story). I think I'll make an appointment with the dr soon.

taken4walk 05-17-2012 08:25 AM

it's so funny i was never one to pay attention to how i rode......well let me tell you this now that i'm a little um.....less young than i used to be i've learned! it's amazing how much your postioning on your horse and how you move with your horse makes a difference......... when i rode my Nona the first couple times my back said "oh hell no woman, what you thinkin?" so i had to re-evaluate how i was sittin in the saddle....... i became more aware of my body and what i needed to do to keep it relaxed yet keep it together......sure is a funny thing......