The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique of Griffin... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/conformation-critique-griffin-120852/)

Almond Joy 04-22-2012 08:54 AM

Conformation Critique of Griffin...

4 Attachment(s)
Hello! Griffin is a recent yearling. His dam is an arab/QH cross and his sire is a QH paint. My friend would like to use him as a barrel racing horse. He is now somewhere around 14.1 hands. These are the best pictures I could get of him (He was adjusting to the bit in his mouth in one of these, we were NOT riding him)

Chopsticks 04-22-2012 09:42 AM

outstanding yearling, rarely do they look this balanced. I love, love his hocks. To me that is the perfect hock angle. Shoulder might be a touch upright but matches his pasterns nicely. neck ties in well, clean throatlatch, good hip, short compact back, nice head. not much to find wrong with this boy.

MaryMary 04-22-2012 09:52 AM

I'm no expert, but he sure is a nice looking yearling!

Almond Joy 04-22-2012 09:59 AM

Awesome! My friend will be very excited to see these responses!
It was actually an accidental breeding, her mare was bred when she was 3 when the previous boarding barn put a stallion in with them...

Ripper 04-22-2012 10:35 AM

If he is not gelded....it is past time.

Almond Joy 04-22-2012 01:15 PM

No, he is gelded. Some of the pictures are older, he was gelded 3 weeks ago.

Baylen Jaxs 04-22-2012 06:31 PM

I like him! He's got the look for a barrel butt, IMO he could be a bit more stocky in the legs and around his shoulder. But with more muscle and proper breaking and training as he gets older I think he could make a really good barrel horse, if he's got the speed for it. I couldn't find anything that seriously jumped out at me but his neck is a wee bit long. But I really do like him. If you hadn't gelded him(I know you did) I don't know that I would really cal him "breeding matiral". I mean if you find a mare to complement the stallion in every way good chance you're gonna have a foal coming out with really decent conformation. But you have gelding him so that is good and it will keep him more focused on barrels in be really in to the game.

Rascaholic 04-22-2012 07:01 PM

He's put together pretty good. I'd not turn him out of the barn LOL but then again, I'd not turn much out of the barn either hehehhe

ETA: I like his short back, nice legs, pretty head, and looks like he will have some rock crusher feet.

Almond Joy 04-22-2012 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone, it's great to hear the feedback!