The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Riding vest to protect a kidney? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/riding-vest-protect-kidney-120864/)

calicokatt 04-22-2012 11:33 AM

Riding vest to protect a kidney?

So if all goes well and my best friend's mom is given a clean enough bill of health for a kidney transplant (she has kidney failure due to a hereditary disease), I will be short one kidney sometime this year. I am looking to find a protective vest that I can wear for riding, that will protect my remaining kidney should I fall off. Most of the vests that I'm seeing don't really seem to go low enough. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Kathy

unclearthur 04-22-2012 01:29 PM

Point-Two airbag system which inflates if you leave the saddle via a pullcord attached to one of the Ds.

Not cheap, but saves lives. Speak to them, though, because when inflated it does put pressure on the torso.

And good luck, by the way :)

poppy1356 04-23-2012 01:34 PM

Which vests are you looking at that don't cover the kidneys? My vest (Flex Rider) goes to my tailbone. But for something that serious I would look into getting fitted for a good vest. That way you know it will cover the areas you need covered.

Good luck, hope everything works out.

calicokatt 04-23-2012 09:12 PM

Most of them come down far enough in the back, but they all seem to only come to the waist in the front.... Perhaps I don't need the protection there, I know the back is more important. I'll ask the doctors. :)

mildot 04-23-2012 09:57 PM

Do a LOT of critical research on Point Two's claims. Not all is as it seems.

jumanji321 04-24-2012 12:11 AM

Your kidneys are on your back, just behind your intestines and liver. Vest only go down to the waist in front so you can move while riding.

calicokatt 04-24-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumanji321 (Post 1469047)
Your kidneys are on your back, just behind your intestines and liver. Vest only go down to the waist in front so you can move while riding.

Well, actually, the kidneys are in the abdomen, positioned more towards the back, but not actually ON the back. A blow to the abdomen (just below the ribcage) CAN damage the kidneys, but not as easily as a blow to the back. So a vest that goes down lower would be more protective for me.

I understand perfectly well that there will always be risk of injury or death, but I am of the opinion that if I can reasonably take a precaution to help protect myself, I should do so. If I'm going to bother to wear a vest, I want to have one that offers me as much protection to my remaining kidney as possible.

jumanji321 04-24-2012 02:01 AM

Well, obviously they aren't on the outside. If they are, then we have a problem.