The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   5 week old Kittens eating hard food? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/5-week-old-kittens-eating-hard-120889/)

Baylen Jaxs 04-22-2012 04:02 PM

5 week old Kittens eating hard food?

Just wondering if we're supposed to allow them to eat hard food yet? We fed them wet food for the first couple days then hard food. There using the litter box as well. They do have teeth by the way. These kittens we're by accident and they actually aren't mine. We just being good neighbors took them in because there owners mom doesn't like cats in the house.

When I was younger we used to be the house that everyone who had a pregnant cat. Would come and drop them off at our house. We didn't want them people just dropped there cats off. A lot of the time when the kittens we're about 4 to 5 weeks old they mom would up and leave and wouldn't come back. So we had to take care of them. So this set of kittens is no different, its just been a LONG while since we have had a pregnant cat or any cat for that matter. We had to put our cat of 15 years down last August. So having kittens running around is soothing =).

PaintHorseMares 04-22-2012 04:07 PM

We have always let kittens eat hard food as soon as they are willing....5 weeks is certainly not too early.

iridehorses 04-22-2012 04:09 PM

We've had a lot of kittens that are born in the barn - including 4 that are 2 weeks old right now. They are in a stall type area where I feed their mother. There is free choice hard food and water always available. I've never used a soft food and when they are ready, they always go right to the hard food on their own.

I've been doing it this way for a lot of litters over the years without any complications or problems.

DressageDreamer 04-22-2012 06:44 PM

If they can eat it, then let them have it. It won't hurt them. I have had kittens that started eating next to their mommas at around 4-5 weeks old. They don't usually eat very much at that age. I was hoping you had pics :)

Baylen Jaxs 04-22-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DressageDreamer (Post 1466580)
If they can eat it, then let them have it. It won't hurt them. I have had kittens that started eating next to their mommas at around 4-5 weeks old. They don't usually eat very much at that age. I was hoping you had pics :)

I can post them :D! Or at least the ones I have!!

themacpack 04-22-2012 07:12 PM

Yep - as has been said, if they can/are eating it, let them at it. I only use moistened/softened kibble when I am having to supplement kittens that are between the "need a bottle" and "ready for crunch" stage.

Baylen Jaxs 04-22-2012 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This are the photos I have as of now. There names are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie LOL....I didn't choose those names.

themacpack 04-22-2012 07:23 PM

What a couple of cuties! I think their names are purrfect!

Lindze 04-22-2012 07:25 PM

Do I see six toes?
Posted via Mobile Device

DressageDreamer 04-22-2012 07:40 PM

Oh they are soooo cute and FUZZY!!! I love kittens :-)
We recently had to put down our old female cat and our other old male cat died about 2 months later. :-( They were in their late teens, but it still broke my heart.