The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   What to do about a dangerous rider?? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-do-about-dangerous-rider-120917/)

WesternBella 04-22-2012 07:28 PM

What to do about a dangerous rider??

So I always ride with my cousin, no matter what. She's a great person and all, but she's a pretty bad rider..to the point where it's beginning to become dangerous.

She can't control her horse properly & she lets him get away with everything. No matter how many times I try to tell her, she never listens.

Lately, she will begin loping & then let her horse run RIGHT into me. She's done it atleast 10 times by now, everytime I tell her to control him but she goes around and does the same thing again.

What should I do?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 04-22-2012 07:33 PM

If she doesn't listen & continues on with the dangerous behaviour, about the only option for you is not ride with her. Sorry. If she would listen, suggest lessons so she can handle her horse properly and not put herself & others in danger.

oh vair oh 04-22-2012 07:55 PM

LOL I know what my old gelding would do in that situation... kick her little horse into the next county! On the plus side you're getting some good desensitization skills... on the bad side it's downright dangerous... I know the "old me" would see that horse coming and then turn my horse's butt towards her and let him take care of the problem... but that's not very politically correct, lol.

kitten_Val 04-23-2012 07:36 AM

Don't ride with her - that's it. There is nothing else you can do anyway if she doesn't listen to you.

themacpack 04-23-2012 08:16 AM

I would stop riding with her. If/when she - or your parents/her parents - ask why, state that you do not feel safe riding with her.

mildot 04-23-2012 08:27 AM

Removed as unconstructive and unhelpful.

themacpack 04-23-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

She can't control her horse properly & she lets him get away with everything.
Is it that she can't control the horse or doesn't control him - those are two very different things. You say she is a "bad rider" - is it lack of skill or failure to use the skills she has?
Has she had any sort of actual riding training? Is the horse she is riding properly trained?

WesternBella 04-23-2012 08:38 AM

My bad, she has been taking lessons once a week for about 9 monthes now. She knows how she should control them, the horse is trained but she fails to control the horse because she doesn't be strict with him, she refuses to kick hard or make him do something.

For example, I was watching her ride because I was giving my horse a break a couple weeks ago. She would be riding around the arena and the horse would stop at the same corner every time. Instead of keeping him moving, she would sit there for 10 seconds, back him up & then move on. Every single time she got near the corner, he would go directly to the wall. Despite my best efforts to help, she wouldn't listen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 04-23-2012 09:05 AM

It seems you have someone to criticize rather than focusing on what you are doing. Everybody has to find their own way in life and she is on her own path and not yours.

Joe4d 04-23-2012 09:14 AM

yeh I would say quit worrying about her, stop telling her what to do. She isnt listing anyway.
Right up to the point where it is dangerous to u, at that point I would stop it right there and either that would stop or I wouldnt ride with her.