The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Hay net in horse trailer? Yes or No? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/hay-net-horse-trailer-yes-no-120921/)

flyinghooves 04-22-2012 08:38 PM

Hay net in horse trailer? Yes or No?

We are moving across the country with my horse and I am wondering if a hay net is okay in the trailer to keep him from getting to bored. Or should we just give him a flake or two when stopped for breaks? My vet said okay to the hay net as long as I put a fly mask on so little bits of hay don't get into his eyes however my friends horse did choke in the trailer on hay from not being able to put his head down and it was horrible. What do you guys think is safe?

CLaPorte432 04-22-2012 08:44 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I don't use hay nets, but I'll use a hay bag.

Make sure it's high enough to where a foot can't get caught.

TexasBlaze 04-22-2012 08:57 PM

Id be careful about em. I had a friend whos gelding got his leg stuck in a haybag that had an iron bar in the top to help it hold its shape. She had to cut the haybag out before Christmas broke his leg. She heard something wrong in the trailer and he was going crazy stuck. it was horrible. She's been terrified to trailer him ever since.

Darrin 04-23-2012 12:00 AM

I know lots of people who trailer with hay net for trailer rides. I would worry about it over long hauls though, if they are eating they need more water then if not eating. Makes it even more important to stop and let them drink.

Cowgirls Boots 04-23-2012 12:32 AM

125 Attachment(s)
I used hay nets in the trailer because my horse likes to push the hat bag around and then it flops to the side without the hole. Then he starts getting ancy and what not. Just make sure it's away from there legs and the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 05-02-2012 12:48 AM

I do and I use a slow-feed hay net. The holes aren't big enough for hoofs or legs to get stuck through and it allows me to hang it at a level where the horses are not breathing through the hay. My trailer has drop down windows with both bars and a sliding glass window with screens, to keep air flowing.

Small Mesh Hay Net in Colors | Dover Saddlery

themacpack 05-02-2012 09:13 AM

Keep it placed so that there is no risk of entanglement and no problem.

Joe4d 05-02-2012 02:28 PM

used one for years till I got to the vet and horse was standing there with one leg up in the air rapped in net, and it was pretty high. I'll never use one again. I have a small corner feeder and give him alfalfa pellets and busted up moistened timothy cubes when I stop.

Fancy That 05-03-2012 04:11 PM

I use corner feeders meant to be used in slant stalls. But I've also used my small hole haynet when hauling Minis/Ponies with no problem.

If the horse is BAREFOOT and you use a very small hole haynet and don't create a Loop, when you tie it....you are golden :)

Be sure to use a fly mask when hauling with hay, especially if you have stock type open air/venting on the sides.

mls 05-03-2012 04:17 PM

What type of trailer are you hauling in? In my slant load, I put the hay on the floor. In my husbands stock, we hang bags if we are going a great distance.