The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse has backing issues, other has loading? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-has-backing-issues-other-has-120958/)

Baylen Jaxs 04-23-2012 01:10 AM

Horse has backing issues, other has loading?

We'll start with the hesitation to load horse first.

She's my Arabian she's never been loaded in a 2 loader trailer before. She used to be a broodmare and was only loaded some where to be taken to a stallion or to her new home. But she had those big trailers you could turn around in. The trailer makes her feel cramped and what not. I know give the horse the biggest hole as possible so they don't feel cramped which is what I have done. Before I even try to load her I have to lunge her three or four circles at a trot then tell her whoa and rush in to load her because other wise she'll stop and pause and wont load, even doing it fast sometimes she wont load or she'll just put her 2 front feet in. We've tried patting her butt, treats and what not feeding her while she's in there so she knows its a good place to be. She'll be real good at loading three or four times then just wont do it. She backs out very nicely you pat her butt and say "back" and she'll back right out. Any tips on how to get her to load better? We have been practicing so....

Other horse is my QH mixed breed of who knows what horse lol.

She loads ever so nicely but she wont back out. The day she was brought to my home her old owner tried to back her out she reared and jerked forward almost breaking the old owners shoulder. Since then she has calmed down loads. When we brought her home from the trainer about 3 weeks ago she wouldn't back no matter how I asked. She put one foot down touched the ground and came right back up and wouldn't do it again. When I'd ask her to back she'd try to turn around being that there was a divider in there she couldn't. So after 10 minutes of trying to back her out, I finally popped the divider out and she got turned around and came out. Any tips on how to get her to back out?

calicokatt 04-23-2012 01:22 AM

For the loading issue, I'd skip the lunging, no need to get worked up before you even start. Walk calmly and directly to the trailer and say 'load up' or whatever your loading command is. If she hesitates or stops back her up, 6-10 steps or so. Repeat the procedure. Do NOT get mad, frustrated or discouraged. It usually gets worse before it gets better, and the horse will begin to 'stick' farther from the trailer. Don't circle or lunge, back DIRECTLY away from the trailer every time. Turn around and walk calmly, but at your normal pace directly back to the trailer and say 'load up'. It can take a LONG time to get in the first time you do this. But it does get shorter each time, and you're not causing any fear of the trailer, you're simply making it more pleasant to be in the trailer than to have to be backing up outside it over and over.

I've only once had a horse that wouldn't back out, and it was because she had been kicked at while backing out the previous time and threw her head up and cut it. I was able to just open the back up and stand to the side and wait, while asking her to back out. The first several times were EXPLOSIVE when she finally got moving, but she got better with time.

Foxhunter 04-23-2012 01:33 AM

I agree with the first answer.
With the horse that will not back out, I would take to the trailer, start to load so only one foot is in and back him out. Do this several times, then both front feet in and reverse, slowly increasing the distance he is in the trailer before asking to reverse out.

usandpets 04-23-2012 03:40 AM

I disagree about not working the horse outside the trailer. How you are lunging the horse? Are you just having the horse go around or do you change directions frequently? Change up what you have the horse do. Lunge for a half circle, back them up, yield it's rear end and front, lunge the other direction. Keep changing what you want and get the horse thinking. Take the horse to the trailer and let it rest. If the horse backs away, put it back to work and return to the trailer to rest. I like to keep working the horse until we are at the trailer and use the forward motion of the horse to have it go in. If it stays in it can rest. If it comes back out, it goes back to work. Here's a vid I made after doing the work outside and rest inside technique:

Loading a horse - YouTube

As for the one not backing out, I do agree to only load one hoof then back out. Repeat a few times and then do two hooves. And so on. It does work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baylen Jaxs 04-23-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1467264)
I disagree about not working the horse outside the trailer. How you are lunging the horse? Are you just having the horse go around or do you change directions frequently? Change up what you have the horse do. Lunge for a half circle, back them up, yield it's rear end and front, lunge the other direction. Keep changing what you want and get the horse thinking. Take the horse to the trailer and let it rest. If the horse backs away, put it back to work and return to the trailer to rest. I like to keep working the horse until we are at the trailer and use the forward motion of the horse to have it go in. If it stays in it can rest. If it comes back out, it goes back to work. Here's a vid I made after doing the work outside and rest inside technique:

Loading a horse - YouTube

As for the one not backing out, I do agree to only load one hoof then back out. Repeat a few times and then do two hooves. And so on. It does work.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's exactly what I have been trying to do! Outside the trailer is work inside the trailer is a place to rest and relax.

usandpets 04-23-2012 01:57 PM

The trick is to work them hard enough that they are breathing heavy. Not enough to tire them out but enough so when they are in the trailer, they can stand and catch their breath. Some take a little more effort and time, like the TB that I'm working with now.
Posted via Mobile Device