The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horseowner pulls horse behind pickup! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horseowner-pulls-horse-behind-pickup-120987/)

clavoie 04-23-2012 10:45 AM

Horseowner pulls horse behind pickup!

http://www.wfsb.com/story/17654858/pd-stafford-springs-man-dragged-horse-tied-to-truck

I do not know if any of you guys have heard this story yet. What was this guy thinking? Makes me sick! I hope the horse is taken away from him and goes to a loving home!
Posted via Mobile Device

bnayc 04-23-2012 12:36 PM

Oh my goodness! People like this have no business owning a horse! If you cannot control your horse enough to simply walk them then there is a problem. He still didn't think that he was wrong! She could have broken her neck, pulled so many muscles... Geez. I have seen a horse die from its back legs splitting like that on pavement

SorrelHorse 04-23-2012 12:41 PM

I got some chains and a Chevy.....Payback's a bitch.

Rascaholic 04-23-2012 12:45 PM

What is so bad? Ok she fell. It happens even with PEOPLE leading them. She was being a butt head about going home, so he did what he had to to get her home. She isn't hurt, or so the article says. She is HIS horse and his responsibility. Was he supposed to wait until she wanted to go home?

He got the job done, the horse wasn't hurt, and I bet you money she leads out like a champ after this.

ETA: Op have you ever seen a horse snubbed for training? It's not much different than what the man in the video did, only he used a truck instead of a snub post and a rope and LOTS of muscle.

bnayc 04-23-2012 12:52 PM

It's bad because he didn't stop when the horse fell. The neighbor watching had to scream at him. Also he obviously cannot handle this mare, he said so himself. It isn't safe for him or anyone around him. In the video he was asked why he didn't call for help, and he just made dumb excuses. Even though he is supposed to publicly apologize tonight, he really doesn't see anything wrong.

Rascaholic 04-23-2012 12:57 PM

I could see being upset if she were all bloody and scraped, but in the pictures she isn't. It says nothing about him heartlessly dragging her for 50 ft or anything. The picture they show IS the side she fell on, I don't see any indications of trauma. But then again I wasn't there.

Who knows if the man even heard the woman screaming? Who is to say he didn't SEE her fall and stop? There are 2 sides to everything, well 3 if you count them as his, hers, and what really happened.

Besides if horses were taken from everyone who didn't KNOW how to care for them, then there'd be a hell of a lot less horse owners. Who decides what is adequate care/knowledge. Just because it isn't something you would do makes it wrong? The horse looks **** healthy to me. But then again, I am not there in the barn or where she escaped to see what happened. Some hysterical neighbor freaks, takes a few pictures and the world condemns the man for cruelty. Sorry to me that is a crock. We have a recent post about a video something like this of a reiner. Gotta love the horse world.

bnayc 04-23-2012 01:02 PM

I can see where you are coming from. But the fact that he cannot handle the mare shouldn't be over looked. It's dangerous. And since he refuses to ask for help, maybe ownership of this mare isn't the best idea.

tempest 04-23-2012 01:08 PM

Well, of course the horse was dragged behind the truck for a little ways after she fell. It's not like the driver could have slammed on the brakes as soon as she fell. It would've of done more harm than good. He would have had to stop gradually. I'm not condoning what he did because it wasn't smart, but you do have to realize the physics involved in this situation.

Rascaholic 04-23-2012 01:09 PM

But that is what I am saying. None of us are there. Ok he admits the mare is unruly. Can you think of 10 people who are actually outhorsed right now? I can. We are condemning people for learning through experience.

It's how I learned. My father taught me a lot. My old trainer taught me more. But the horses taught me everything. I have always ridden the rankest, meanest, most onery animals. It's what I did. It's who I was. If I couldl sit it, I'd ride it. Does this make me less of a horse owner, No. I learned through mistakes, trial and error. Did I mess up, YES.

But who in this world can honestly say they have never messed up with a horse? Their kids? Their dog? I can't say that.

As for dangerous, owning a horse is dangerous in itself. It becomes more so every day with people doing things like this. Those pictures were taken and that man condemned without anyone knowing for sure what happened. While I might not agree with the how of it, the mare appears to be no worse for the experience. The owner however will NEVER live this down. He'll be in court because public outcry will demand that the :bad, cruel man" be tried and hanged for it.

To me that is just sad.

MakeYourMark 04-23-2012 01:13 PM

Let's just not tie horses to pick-ups. It's been proved time and time again that this practice is dangerous and unnecessary.