The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   a friend's showmanship and equitation unsolveable issues, any ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/friends-showmanship-equitation-unsolveable-issues-any-120996/)

Summerize 04-23-2012 10:37 AM

a friend's showmanship and equitation unsolveable issues, any ideas

There is a girl at my barn who shows saddlebreds. It doesn't take much to know though she isn't exactly one who'd win or even place, despite the fact she has a black horse. What she does is not keep hold of the curb reign and her horse shoots his nose up and acts up. We have tried everything we know on getting her to hang onto it but she just lets it slide. Anyone have any ideas?

We have tried braided reigns, conditioner, new gloves, new bits, this stuff you put on your gloves and it gives them better grip, instruction on how to hold them, strength training, and remembering to collect. But she cannot keep them. My trainer is going nuts over it and it is not the horse, the rest of us can ride him and have won on him.

We know part of it is because she is stiff riding, and her shoulders shoot up so high you cannot see her neck, but her horse is bombproof. The other part is she balances with her hands not her legs so she has a hard time staying level.

So we are at a loss on what to do or if she should just switch to in hand and halter classes because she's blowing hundreds of dollars and never getting higher than 4th

CLaPorte432 04-23-2012 10:51 AM

893 Attachment(s)
I don't see the problem with this girl taking her time in the show ring. What's wrong with getting 4th? If she wants to blow her money, then so be it. I'm sure she will get there eventually. Not everyone starts out on top and winning. Some of us take longer to get there. It's her prerogative so stop pushing her.

Summerize 04-23-2012 11:04 AM

shes been showing for 5 years and riding for 20

Summerize 04-23-2012 11:16 AM

She rarely gets 4th most the time it is DNP while the rest of us including people with much less time in the saddle are getting 1st and 2nd on a regular basis.

Cowgirls Boots 04-23-2012 11:26 AM

125 Attachment(s)
If she doesn't care then why do you? Showing shouldn't be all about winning, that's the problem with people these days. If she doesn't care about winning then I'd mind my own business if I were you, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShinaKonga 04-23-2012 11:29 AM

...Why does it matter that she has a black horse?

Tianimalz 04-23-2012 11:29 AM

..Why does it matter if the horse is black? I'm sorry, this is just the first thing that came to mind xD
Quote:

There is a girl at my barn who shows saddlebreds. It doesn't take much to know though she isn't exactly one who'd win or even place, despite the fact she has a black horse.

Summerize 04-23-2012 11:30 AM

she wants to win, and keeps asking us ways to keep her grip, she knows she has a good horse but she has no idea how to fix the problem but tries anyway, and at the level we are showing at winning is the aim, the shows we do are no local 4h pony club kinda thing . And we care because she blames us for not winning.

Summerize 04-23-2012 11:31 AM

black horses are favored in Saddleseat, it is a rare coat color and is highly desired, you can get a ribbon an have poor riding if your horse is black

ShinaKonga 04-23-2012 11:32 AM

Tianimalz, we need to say something to each other when we're discussing threads if we're going to post the same thing on them. LOL