The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   getting a horse on a feeding schedule (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/getting-horse-feeding-schedule-120998/)

rednecklove 04-23-2012 10:50 AM

getting a horse on a feeding schedule

I am getting a new horse and i need to put it on a feeding schedule so it gets used to it. Open to any suggestions to help me

farmpony84 04-23-2012 11:10 AM

I'm not sure what you mean? Find out what type of feed, how much, and how often it's been getting fed and then go from there. I think the recommended way to do it is three feedings in a day but not many people can do that with jobs and all.

I feed twice a day, morning and evening. It took about 3 days for mine to figure out where (what dish or stall) they got fed in and what time I was coming....

rednecklove 04-23-2012 04:02 PM

Farmpony84 i am in high school so i dont have much time so what exactly should i do? My neighbor got the horse from his friend for me so i know nothing about this horse so far the horse should be coming sometime this week thats all i know

farmpony84 04-23-2012 04:08 PM

When I was in highschool my horse was behind my house. I ran out and fed him first thing in the morning but did not clean stalls or anything and then I fed in the afternoons. Some people do feed only once a day...

rednecklove 04-23-2012 04:17 PM

My horse is going to be at my neighbors house because we had to rebuild our house do to a house fire so i dont have grass at the moment so my neighbor said i can keep it there :D

themacpack 04-23-2012 04:25 PM

My daughter (aka farmhand) is in H.S. - she has been doing all her own horse care, and most of mine, lol, it's trade for the fact that I foot all the horse bills, since we brought home her first horse when she was 12. When she gets up in the morning she takes her mare's grain out (we soak it overnight), puts her in the stall to keep my pig out of it and then comes in to get ready for school. We also set "dinner" to soak at this time. Before we leave, she goes out and turns her out.
When she gets home, she mucks out the stall (we use it as a run-in so both horses go in/out all day), rides, grooms or whatever she wants to do with them that day. When I get home I work with/groom whichever one she hasn't gotten to yet and/or we might go for a ride together, etc. Dinner is served when we're done with them for the evening (I said 6 in my response to your other thread on this topic, but it can vary quite a bit in the summer months when we have hours of daylight after work). With the round bales we are using now, we don't have to worry about putting out hay, but when we were using squares she/we would put out hay morning and evening for them.

TraceyAnn 04-23-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1467591)
I'm not sure what you mean? Find out what type of feed, how much, and how often it's been getting fed and then go from there. I think the recommended way to do it is three feedings in a day but not many people can do that with jobs and all.

I feed twice a day, morning and evening. It took about 3 days for mine to figure out where (what dish or stall) they got fed in and what time I was coming....

What FarmPony said about sums it up...

I feed mine when wake up in the morning, then I let them out of their stalls before I leave for work. --I feed them again in the evening when I get home from work (about 5:45 pm).. If I'm late, by 6:00 they are waiting for my at the fence closest to the barn... LOL

themacpack 04-23-2012 04:28 PM

You may want to ask the Admin to merge your two threads - it can be difficult for you and those responding to you to keep the information as straight as possible when the posts are scattered on various threads.

rednecklove 04-23-2012 04:29 PM

I just want to get it used to when its feeding time. Also i am going to barrel race what type of grain should i use? I know i sound dumb but i just need to know

Cowgirls Boots 04-23-2012 04:53 PM

125 Attachment(s)
If you need to ask these types of questions maybe horse owning isn't for you RIGHT NOW. (not trying to be rude)

Maybe you would be better off leasing so you can learn all of this but not actually have the burden on you just yet.

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device