The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Some people make me so mad I want to cry. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/some-people-make-me-so-mad-121019/)

rbarlo32 04-23-2012 01:35 PM

Some people make me so mad I want to cry.

Friend posted thin on facebook makes me so mad I want to cry.
Foal Training?? More like Abuse - YouTube!
Why do some evil people get away with this or Evan be allowed to own horses.

Tianimalz 04-23-2012 01:38 PM

Only thing wrong I saw was getting on him, other than that it looked like basic desensitization to me. Like what? Am I supposed to be appalled that there is a bit in his mouth? Or that he didn't want to feel the flank strap? Or get in the trailer? I can't judge without a video of the methods, not just pictures... but really, I didn't see anything stand out that made me scream abuse except for getting on the little guy.

BarrelracingArabian 04-23-2012 01:44 PM

I agree the only thing wrong is getting on him that bit is just sitting in his mouth no pressure,that saddle weighs next to nothing and he is obviously very well desensitized to be standing there with it under him, the rest just looks like regular desensitizing which most over look doing and end up with psco babies which go to auctions or worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

rbarlo32 04-23-2012 01:48 PM

Not trying to start arguments won't argue on others opinion just sharing mine.

Rascaholic 04-23-2012 01:49 PM

Not my horse, but I'd not get on him til after the age of 4. Personal preference. Saddle, meh, to me a little early, but not abusive. Bitted, meh, still a little early but not abusive. Flank rope, good idea! Ever put a blanket on a foal who wasn't taught to stand still for it, not a pretty sight, but he was so cold.

cowboy bowhunter 04-23-2012 01:52 PM

The video is by a non horse person. Most of it is normal training. The saddle was small, And a horse should know how to trailer load, and have ropes all over it. But i didnt like her getting on the horse she is to young to have alot of weight on her at that age.

crimsonsky 04-23-2012 02:01 PM

seems like normal desensitization to me. i got my coming 2 year old when he was 8 months (so a few months older than the one in these pictures) and that's one of the first things i did - introduce him to anything and everything i expect him to come across during the course of his life. the only thing i have not done is backed him. honestly, i think he's a much more well-rounded horse for having experienced a lot of things during his "younger" months.

smrobs 04-23-2012 02:03 PM

I agree with tianimalz, the only part of that video that bothered me was them getting on her at such a young age.

So many things can be taken completely out of context, especially in regards to photos. Depending on the temperament of the foal and how much previous handling (or mishandling) she'd had, she might have had issues that needed to be corrected NOW, while she's still small enough to not really be able to truly hurt someone. The biggest thing is, we can't know because we weren't there.

As for the whole bit on a baby thing, I must be a horrible abusive asshat too because my guy was a grand total of 6 months the first time he wore a bit and was asked to give to the pressure of it. And worse, it was a single jointed snaffle *gasp*.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1335203495

It really bothers me when someone tries to trash a trainer's or an owner's reputation by flailing their arms and shreiking "ABUSEABUSEABUSE!!!" just based on a few pictures or a short snippet of video, especially when the abuse isn't blatent; by blatent, I mean beating a horse with a board/chain, doing something to purposefully draw blood or cause permananent injury, etc (the first thing that comes to my mind is the photos of the stallion in south america that was left in his stall with twine tied around his lower jaw that kept it tied to his chest to "encourage" his tucked headset).

If you don't agree with the training methods shown, then simply state "Wow, you know, I really don't agree with how this was handled or what these folks are doing", but to scream ABUSE when the filly clearly hasn't been horribly injured or terrorized is just attention-mongering. Other than being a little sweaty (which, by the way, both of my foals would run themselves into a lather for the fun of it at that age), this filly has zero signs of even being worked other than a relaxed body carriage and a respectful look.

Rascaholic 04-23-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1467937)
I agree with tianimalz, the only part of that video that bothered me was them getting on her at such a young age.

So many things can be taken completely out of context, especially in regards to photos. Depending on the temperament of the foal and how much previous handling (or mishandling) she'd had, she might have had issues that needed to be corrected NOW, while she's still small enough to not really be able to truly hurt someone. The biggest thing is, we can't know because we weren't there.

As for the whole bit on a baby thing, I must be a horrible abusive asshat too because my guy was a grand total of 6 months the first time he wore a bit and was asked to give to the pressure of it. And worse, it was a single jointed snaffle *gasp*.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1335203495

It really bothers me when someone tries to trash a trainer's or an owner's reputation by flailing their arms and shreiking "ABUSEABUSEABUSE!!!" just based on a few pictures or a short snippet of video, especially when the abuse isn't blatent; by blatent, I mean beating a horse with a board/chain, doing something to purposefully draw blood or cause permananent injury, etc (the first thing that comes to my mind is the photos of the stallion in south america that was left in his stall with twine tied around his lower jaw that kept it tied to his chest to "encourage" his tucked headset).

If you don't agree with the training methods shown, then simply state "Wow, you know, I really don't agree with how this was handled or what these folks are doing", but to scream ABUSE when the filly clearly hasn't been horribly injured or terrorized is just attention-mongering. Other than being a little sweaty (which, by the way, both of my foals would run themselves into a lather for the fun of it at that age), this filly has zero signs of even being worked other than a relaxed body carriage and a respectful look.

You shameless horse abusing Hussy! ROFL Sorry, just kidding. There has been a lot of this on the forum the past couple weeks. I need to start a new thread. Remember when....

AlexS 04-23-2012 02:11 PM

As others said, the only issue is them getting on the horse. I don't see anything else wrong.

It's grasping at straws to show a baby rearing in front of a trailer and call it abuse.